❝joking around❞

"OH, wait here for a second!"

Miki left her guest waiting at the entryway, quickly scurrying back to the kitchen. She returned soon later, holding a takeaway container with a red lid.

"I almost forgot to give you your cookies!" With a bright smile, she thrust the container into their hands.

Lucas chuckled, tucking the snack safely into the crook of his arm as he turned to go. "Now I can leave safely." He sighed dramatically. "I feared I would have no meal for the journey ahead..."

She playfully pushed him out the door. "Yeah yeah, I'm sure the 20-minute drive is so devastating for your health and wellbeing."

Once his car turned at the end of the street, Miki trudged back inside, looking forward to curling up against her pillows with a new TV show.

Then she thought of upcoming exams, and an unpleasant expression crossed her features.

"Was his company that bad?"

She was halfway up the stairs when she heard a voice she hadn't heard all day. Turning around, she found Wooyoung leaning against the bottom railing.

Something about his painfully neutral expression had her feeling defensive. "Of course not."

"Ah. Forget I asked."

He straightened, about to make his exit.

"His name is Lucas, by the way," blurted out Miki. "He's my classmate. He came over to study since we were both feeling overwhelmed."

Wooyoung nodded slowly. "We've met."

"Really?"

"When he gave a thank-you letter the other day."

"Ohhh." Miki felt like a small worry had been lifted off of her chest. The whole time Lucas was around, she was practising ways of introducing them to each other in her head.

Wooyoung, however, had seemed to avoid them at all costs.

She frowned a little. "How did you know it was a thank you letter?"

He froze.

"A guess." He replied stiffly.

Miki noticed his agitation and grinned. "Relax, I was just joking."

"Oh." He managed a small smile. Seeing this, she turned back around to leave.

After Miki had ascended onto the landing, he called out once again.

"Next time he visits, try wearing your wedding ring!"

An odd request. They both never wore them, unless during mandatory visits to see each other's in-laws.

'Wait, he's probably attempting a joke too.' She thought.

"Very funny!" Miki immediately replied back, glad he was able to not take himself seriously once in a while.

Wooyoung was not laughing.