❝thinking❞

WHEN?

Miki could not, for the life of her, pinpoint the exact moment things had taken a slight change. 

She was sprawled across her bed, a hydrating clay mask spread evenly over her face. Despite the weather getting colder day-by-day, she had cracked the window open by a fraction to let a slight breeze through.

The whistle of the wind as it slipped into her bedroom comforted her. 

By this time, she would already be contemplating what to eat for dinner, but a foreign thought had disrupted her otherwise peaceful state of mind.

Should I wait for him to come home?

That question alone was disturbing, but the one afterwards was the main cause of her concern. 

Why do I care?

Just a few months ago, she would have happily trampled downstairs to fix herself a meal. A meal made for one, to be specific. 

When did dinner become a two-person event in her head?

The alarm on her phone went off, and she went to the bathroom to wash her face. She searched for clarity with every splash of cold water, but her mind was still racing.

Was this Miki the same as previous Miki?

"How do I feel?" She said aloud, and immediately felt embarrassed despite the lack of an audience. 

Deep inside, somewhere, she knew.

✿✿✿

THE doorbell rang at 7pm, and Miki looked down from the upstairs hallway window to find Wooyoung standing on their front-step. 

She threw on one of her zip-up hoodies and rushed down the stairs. 

When she opened the door, he had his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his coat, warm breaths escaping his mouth as tiny puffs of smoke. 

"Sorry, I forgot my keys." 

She dismissed the apology with a slight shake of the head. "Just come inside, before I freeze with you."

When he didn't move, she realised something was off. "Did something happen at work?"

She watched as his stare moved from her face to the rest of her outfit, snagging on an area of her hoodie.

She looked down curiously, expecting to find a small coffee spill or loose thread.

Instead, Wooyoung reached forward and pulled the zipper all the way up.

His touch lingered for a moment too long before his hand fell back to his side. "No, work was fine." He said, his expression neutral. 

Fortunately, he finally came inside and began taking off his coat and scarf. "My parents called."

"Okay. What did they say?" Miki had no problem with that. They were on good terms with both their in-laws. 

He turned back to face her, rolling up the sleeves of his jumper. "They want us to come over next week. It's probably because... our anniversary is coming up."

Wooyoung smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes.