❝arrival❞

4 days until anniversary

MIKI was still slightly drowsy when Wooyoung rang the doorbell. The sound could be heard from outside as it echoed around the house.

It was a two-hour drive to get to his parents' house, and she had slept through most of it. Wooyoung didn't seem to have a problem with it. She figured he was used to driving without conversation.

She yawned for what was probably the fourth time and double-checked that her clothes were still presentable. Miki had opted for a simple outfit: a fluffy white sweater tucked into a black wool miniskirt, tights, and shiny black loafers.

She swung a plastic bag holding the container of spring rolls back and forth absentmindedly. A gust of wind blew past them, and she shivered.

"Tch."

Miki didn't even bother looking at him. "For the last time, I don't need to wear a coat for the 20 steps it takes for me to reach the front door."

"Not that. Your ribbon."

Oh. That's right. Miki had forgotten one crucial aspect of her outfit; she had decided to add a velvet ribbon to her half-up hairstyle.

Wooyoung stepped closer to her and carefully adjusted the bow so that it sat perfectly on the back of her hair.

"If only you didn't sleep so restlessly," he teased. His warm breath tickled the side of her ear, and she shivered again. She watched as he stepped away again, a light smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

A dull thud landed against one of the windows next to the front door. Miki could only see a blur of brown fur before the furball started barking excitedly.

Her eyes widened. They have a dog.

She didn't have time to fully process that information because the furball's owner started unlocking the door. In a swift motion, Wooyoung stole the plastic bag from her grip and slid his hand into hers.

The door swung wide open, and they were greeted by a smiling Mrs. Jung. "You guys made it! How was the drive?"

"Good! How are—" Miki was interrupted as they were immediately pulled into a suffocating group hug, while the furball, still yapping, jumped on Wooyoung's legs and nipped at the edge of his coat.

"Mochi, calm down!" Mrs. Jung scolded, and released them to pick up the squirming dog.

Mochi? Miki felt like she was experiencing sensory overload.

It took her a moment to realise that Wooyoung's hand was still firmly holding hers. She wasn't the only one to notice. Mrs. Jung's grin somehow managed to become wider when she glanced at where their hands were joined.

"Come in, come in!" They were quickly ushered inside, removing their shoes at the entrance.

Wooyoung finally let go of her hand in order to wrap an arm around his mother. "Hi, eomma."

He then promptly left, in the direction of the kitchen, most likely to put the spring rolls away.

He hadn't seen his mother in person for so long, and that was all he said? Mrs. Jung, who had grown accustomed to her son's blunt behaviour years ago, didn't seem fazed at all.

Mochi was placed back down on the ground, and soon after, the furball was scampering away to join Wooyoung in the kitchen. "Is Woo getting your luggage from the car later?" Mrs. Jung asked.

Miki nodded, and her mother-in-law gave a satisfied clap. "Then I'll show you where you'll be sleeping, shall I?"

a/n: idk why i struggled so much with this chapter tbh ;-;