❝one word❞

5 days until anniversary, 1 day until they leave for Wooyoung's family home

MIKI was sick of thinking and worrying.

Every time she was thinking, she was worrying. When she wasn't worrying, she began thinking about why she should be worrying. She then began to worry that she was thinking too much.

It was evening again.

They were leaving tomorrow morning.

She was sitting in their backyard, gazing out at the hydrangeas. In the daytime, the petals were a bright, ocean blue. But bathing under the moonlight, they looked regal, a midnight blue.

The cold air was crisp and refreshing. Miki couldn't remember just how long she had been sitting there.

She pulled her dressing gown tighter around herself. A clear mind. That was all she was seeking now.

The sliding door slid open, and closed just as quickly.

She listened as his light footsteps approached. There was a slight screech as the chair next to her was pulled back. Her companion eased himself into the chair.

Miki thought about all the sleepless nights she had throughout their year of marriage. How he was there for most of them.

Over time, she had just come to expect it. Hardly anything needed to be said when he was there. His presence was enough.

Another indeterminable amount of time passed.

She wondered what he was thinking about. Was he just as scared as she was? Why did he ask whether she was happy?

She remembered the text she saw from his mother.

If Wooyoung was no longer content, where would they go from here?

Was this the last time they could sit together like this, comfortable in each other's company? Would he sit and keep another company one day? 

Miki couldn't even imagine that idea without feeling like her heart was slowly crumbling away.

All those nights, and she took them for granted.

She stopped herself before her mind could slip down that rabbit hole. There she was. Thinking and worrying once again.

With a small groan, she slowly got up from her chair. Before she could turn away, his warm hand grabbed hers.

They looked at each other.

His eyes were weary. He looked just as tired as she was. To the rest of the world, he was Dr. Jung Wooyoung, incredibly capable and always put together.

This Wooyoung, the one that was staring up at her with a sense of vulnerability in his eyes, was worlds away from the person everyone else saw.

It was in that moment that Miki realised she was the only one who had seen this side of him. It was this Wooyoung that she had fallen for. Raw. Human.

"Stay," he said.

So she did.