❝the last straw❞

2 days until anniversary

MIKI hadn't seen Wooyoung since yesterday morning after breakfast. He and his dad went fishing and weren't expected until tonight.

She had taken multiple walks around the neighbourhood to clear her mind, with Mochi accompanying her for a few of them.

Tonight, when they had their talk, she was going to tell him. Miki was sick of holding it inside. For better or for worse, he was going to know her true feelings for him.

She nodded resolutely to herself. It was now or never.

When her face started to get numb from the cold, she went back inside to spend some time with Mrs. Jung.

"Oh, Miki! You just missed him!" Her mother-in-law called out as Miki ushered Mochi inside and shut the front door.

She instantly perked up. "They're back?"

"No, not yet. San came by to quickly drop off some more luggage. You've met him, right?" Mrs. Jung came strolling into the main entrance, and that was when Miki noticed the pile of suitcases sitting by the stairs.

"Uh, yeah, I have... why more luggage though?"

Mrs. Jung kneeled besides Mochi, giving the anxious dog a few scratches behind the ear. "For Wooyoung, of course."

Two of Wooyoung's work briefcases were also stacked by the staircase, which she found odd. She went over and opened one of them, finding all his current paperwork filed neatly inside.

Miki looked around. "Did San drop anything for me?"

"No, why? Do you need anything? I can always ask the boys to buy it on the way home." She said it like it was the most casual thing ever, but Miki was left speechless. She started to get the feeling that she was being left out of some cruel joke.

What the hell was going on?

Feeling lightheaded, she headed to the living room to sit down. Her mother-in-law quickly followed, a worried expression on her face. "My dear, you're so pale! Are you okay?"

Miki rubbed her face a few times.

She let out a shaky laugh. "If I didn't know better, it would look like Wooyoung was moving out of our house."

Mrs. Jung didn't laugh with her.

"He must've told you already, right?" Mrs. Jung said softly, slowly sitting down besides her.

When Miki didn't reply, she gave her a sympathetic look. "Listen, Miki... he's been thinking about it for a few weeks. I think once he spent the first night here, he finally decided. After all, it's a really good job offer. Can you imagine, my son being a hospital director?"

Mrs. Jung, her happiness for her son overriding her concern for Miki, continued despite the silence.

"The fact that he was recognised this early in his career... his father and I were incredibly proud. Then, of course, there was the issue of it being so far from home. He said you wouldn't mind. In fact, he thinks you'd be happier that way... that way, you get your own freedom as well."

She couldn't help but shake her head. This was a cruel joke.

She felt like she was watching a horror movie. She knew the jump scare was coming, but she didn't turn the movie off. She couldn't do anything but wait for it to happen.

"Miki, he's moving back in."

a/n: if you aren't too sure about what's going on, hopefully I clear up some of it in the next chapter + the season finale! ⋆⭒˚。⋆