❝the little things❞

6 days until anniversary, 2 days until they leave for Wooyoung's family home

JUNG Wooyoung.

There was just something about him.

The way he gave her his full attention whenever she spoke. The way the corner of his mouth lifted slightly whenever he found something amusing.

The way their bathroom always smelled like the lingering traces of his fresh cologne, the way he gets up early to water the flowers every now and then as she watches him from the kitchen window.

The way he always left the upstairs lamp on whenever he went to bed before her, just so she wouldn't have to climb up the stairs in total darkness.

This was the same man she had been eating meals with for almost a year now—the same one she said goodnight to most nights, the same one she came home to after university.

But now he was also something entirely different. And Miki did not know how to deal with that.

It was almost heartbreaking.

To know that he was 99% hers. She knew how he liked his coffee, but not whether he slept on the left or right side of his bed.

It wasn't enough.

She wanted to know everything.

"Are you trying to hurt yourself?"

Wooyoung had entered the kitchen and was pouring himself a glass of water. She stared blankly at the chopping board in front of her as she tried to regain a sense of reality. She was in the middle of dicing some carrots, and the knife had paused just two centimetres away from her fingers.

He moved to stand besides her, gently pushing her to the side with his shoulder. "Here, let me. I'd appreciate it if you didn't become one of my patients."

Miki was silent as long, slender fingers stole the knife from her grip.

"Beef or pork?" he asked.

"Neither. I remembered your dad was trying to cut his meat intake, so they're veggie springrolls this time."

She figured she'd prepare the rolls in advance, storing them in the freezer in the meantime.

He put the knife down and turned towards her, arms folded. "Right. I forgot about that." His eyes roamed over the container of finished rolls. "Miki, are you happy?"

The question threw her. It came completely out of left field, yet he acted so nonchalant about it that he could've been asking about the weather instead.

"...With these rolls? Yeah, I'm confident they'll turn out well." Miki pretended to find the counter extremely fascinating.

She heard him sigh.

"You know I don't mean the rolls," Wooyoung said carefully. "And for the record, I didn't fully believe you the other night. So if there's anything you need to say to me, any..." He cleared his throat. "...concerns, you can let me know now."

Miki gave him a sidelong glance. "Why, do you have any?"

They made eye contact, and he was the first to break. "I was just wondering if you wanted to have a proper talk between ourselves before we see my parents, that's all."

Actually, I do. I wish you had kissed me yesterday.

She tried her best to swallow the lump that formed in her throat. "No. Everything's fine."

"Okay, good. By the way, I didn't know you wrapped your rolls like that. I was taught this way. . ."

It didn't take long before the mood lightened up again, and Miki managed to lose herself in the moment.

But in the centre of her chest, there was a dull ache that never fully went away.