Chapter 2

School ended with one, singular conversation between Mal and I. The boy who'd throw his homework my way for an excuse to hang out in homeroom preoccupied by everything else. It admittedly threw me off. It was only in passing as we left our last period, study hall, where we exchanged greetings.

Other than that, Malikai didn't make an effort to chat or anything. Could he still be bothered by earlier? That'd be my best guess, I would let him think things through for a little. I know whatever's going on will get talked out soon.

Arriving home, I began on the homework we received for the break. Our English class gave us a short philosophical book to read over and answer questions with a packet. The book talked briefly about numerous different topics and ideas on why humans behave the way they do. And although this would all be great information to read, I could not stop drawing every conclusion back to why Mal acted the way he did.

A calm, level-headed guy who never shows emotion other than contentment was so triggered, but by what and why. My brain wants answers.

Emotions don't appear for no reason, so what particularly pushed his button?

I sigh aloud, perhaps I should try again tomorrow after some rest. I glanced over at the clock, seeing it was past midnight. I ate a snack around dinner time but noticed my stomach asking to be fed.

I grab my phone and see I have two missed calls and two messages.

Missed call(2) Malikaiii:D

New Messages(2) Malikaiii:D

Hey, wanna come hang at the skatepark with me and a few friends? Busy ?

Goodnight grandma

I press the call button and hope he's still out.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you still out?"

"Yeah but it's past midnight, It's 1 am." I can hear the laughter of a few others in the background, I assume it's the friends he talked about before.

I huff, "Can you drive me to the convenience store please? I'll pay you."

There is a slight pause before I hear Mal's voice again, "I'll be there in 5 'kay?"

I thank him and hang up, I then proceed to look around my room for anything I need. Oh!

Rushing towards my closet I go to grab a hoodie but can't find any. I guess I need to do a load of wash. I instead changed out of my school uniform and put on gray sweatpants and a cute black band t-shirt. I guess I'll have to do without.

I rush downstairs and wait on the patio before my parents see me. I'm allowed out, but I'll be questioned, which is time-consuming, I'll text if need be.

Shivering in the chilly night air, I look up to the beautiful dark blue sky noticing its glimmering stars staring back down at me.

Before long, I was watching as Malikai pulled into my driveway causing me to smile giddily. I wave in a dramatic way to him and rush over to his car.

"Hi!" As I swing the door open and hop in, I am met with a rush of warm air. The blanket of heat envelopes my chilly form as I close the door with a thud.

Mal looks over my appearance and chuckles softly, trying to hold back his smile, "Hi, Aruna."

"Hi, Malikai," I say in a soft tone matching his.

Mal pats my knee in a comforting way before he begins to back out of my driveway and makes his way to the main road.

"So, how is it you woke up at 5 am and still have this much energy?"