Chapter 4

"Mal," Huff, huff, huff, huff, "please."

Malikai's form stumbles to a stop a few feet in front of me as I bend down trying to catch my breath. My calves ached with every pulse of blood, my breath staggering as I stared down at the dark gravel. A chill of air washes over my boiled skin as I detect Malikai's hand reaching out to me in the corner of my eye.

"Are you alright?"

Squinting my eyes, my gaze lowered at him, "I'm dying" I cried dramatically. "You don't even run, how do you have this much stamina running?"

He offers a light chuckle, "I work out at the gym a little?"

I groan, "How about, sometime, instead of running with me, you take me to the gym."

Malikai grabs my hand and pulls me up gently.

"Sure, now upsidaisy." Mal straightens me out, watching with a smirk as I huff.

"Mm, yeah yeah." I trail off reading myself for the final sprint down my road

Taking off, the morning spring breeze revitalized my overheating body, its windy attack swimming through my hair.

Today, once again Malikai decided to do something out of character.

Who is this kid who is voluntarily waking up at the crack of dawn to come jogging with me? As ecstatic as I may be about this sudden change... He woke up early twice now, what drugs is he on?

"How dare you!" He yells running after me.

By the time I reached my doorstep, he only managed to catch up to the beginning of my driveway.

"Haha! Gotcha!" I yell out gripping the icy door handle.

Today was something new. Deciding to meet up with Malikai's friends, I readied myself to meet Dominic's new girlfriend. Filling with anticipation, I prayed she was a nice, sound woman. Who knew though with Dominic.

As Mal and I met up, we made our way inside. It wasn't long before we were both showered and dressed for our lunch plans. For the new event today I chose to spice up my usual jeans and hoodie outfit. I instead wore a cute almond-colored undershirt with flaring on the long sleeves. A brown plaid dress going to my thighs rested over the shirt, the combination leaving me swooning over my own selection.

Ha, this makes my school's uniform look like a failed off-brand product... Unfortunate.

The loose curls I did and minimal makeup left time speeding by. So much so my invested focus was startled to see Malikai standing by my cracked door.

Dressed in loose khaki pants and a light burgundy-colored jumper, his hair fluffed with natural volume, soft strands bounced around only to settle happily aligned.

You look... beautiful.

"Wow, you look really beautiful Aruna." Mal's voice trailed over leaving me to blush.

I had said it first-

My cheeks flushed as I shot him a wide smile, "You look very handsome yourself Malikai." My voice came out in a lull tone.

I watched as his ears reddened, and a grin shone back at me, contentment in his eyes. I felt my own smile broaden noticing how cute he looked, adding to it all was the entertaining factor of embarrassment we shared.

"Oh, I was gonna ask what you want for breakfast. It's best if we eat a small meal to not get cranky before we eat later." I roll my eyes at his babying yet hide a smile, finding myself happy he knew and cared.