Chapter 20

Drip... Drip... Drip... Drip...

The pitter-patter of light rain echoed against the glass. My cheek pressed against the metal mullions, the chill slowly seeping the heat out of my body. Its cool smoothness paired well with the sight of large water droplets sliding down the paned glass. Gentle drops fell from the roof and gathered upon the rosebeds below, its liquid running streams in the dirt.

The bright green grass dulled under the lack of light, though the sight was just as admirable under the heavy clouds as it would have been with clear blue skies. The wide and open property the Sallow parents' had purchased was ironically homey for the lack of comfort they provide.

A large, white-marbled fountain sat in the middle of my vision, its elegance didn't overwhelm the sight before me. Trees bellowing around the entire yard instead showcased the nature of the property. Their lollipop shapes were tossed in the winds of the storm, and the gardens of numerous types of greenery wept under the irregular harsh blows. A porch just out of sight led a stone trail past the hedges of said porch towards the fountain.

So captivating...

"Eeek!"

A sudden shriek caught my attention as I turned to watch my brother chasing the younger child around.

"Aruna," Avery called as he threw himself onto my lap, "Help, help!"

As Avery nuzzled his tiny body in my arms, I gazed back with widened eyes.

"What even-" I murmured out, getting cut off by Sol's accusing words.

"That's cheating!"

A loud giggle was muffled in my shirt as Avery held onto my sides before he peeked his head out. Sticking his tiny tongue out, he teased Sol as my brother pouted back.

"No fair...!" Sol whined,

There was a moment of silence as my brother stared at the boy in my lap,"Wait...," Tapping Avery, Sol laughed loudly before pulling back, "You never said Runa was safe!"

The playful expression of Avery's dropped as he leaped off my lap to chase after Sol, "Hey! You can't do that!" his head momentarily whipped around to send me a cute apologetic smile as he whispered a light "Sorry,"

In moments, the two boys were off and nowhere to be seen. Only the traces of giggles echoing in the hall could show proof of their existence.

"No running in the house!" I called as a sigh exited my lips.

What just happened?

Taking a deep breath, my eyes wandered over to Mal who sat on the couch beside my chair. His amused expression gazed back at me, his pink lips curling up at the sides. A light chuckle could be seen attempting to be repressed, his chest bouncing and heaving.

"What are you laughing at?" I inquired, a singular eyebrow raised.

Shaking his head, Mal raised a hand to wave in front of me, "Oh, nothing, nothing,"

Ignoring the denial he gave, I sat up off my seat to join the seat beside Malikai. My bottom squished between him and the hard-side cushion in discomfort.

"Lemme sit with you," I mumbled lightly, catching myself in a whine.

Mal, in response, snaked an arm behind my back and around my side. His fingers gripped me as he shifted my weight onto him.

"Here's your seat,"

My eyes found his in an observing look, the warmth of his presence surrounding me as his smile invited me on a comforting cloud. A surrender and then a fall, one straight into his embrace.