Chapter 11

Malikai swung open his front door, a wave of heat came barreling out as he motioned for us to enter. The familiar sight of his first-floor living area came into view, though we turned upstairs to the main floor with his family who awaited our arrival.

"Ma, Aruna, and Sol are here," He called as we reached the top of the steps.

A metal clank and shuffling were heard, as light muttering died out, the footsteps appeared in front of us.

Malikai's mother has always been a very beautiful woman and it appears that hasn't changed. The chestnut-colored hair Mal inherited was by none other than his mom, who additionally had honey-brown eyes that had to be the most interesting shade, resembling orange rather than brown.

In no exaggeration, she qualified to be a model. The diamond facial structure and magnificent cheekbones could make anyone take another glance. She stood around five foot seven, with quite a skinny body. I don't think anyone would have guessed she had two kids.

"It's so nice to see you again Aruna," His mother reached out, grabbing me in a quick hug, and giving each cheek a quick peck. I smiled and greeted her warmly, giving a compliment to the perfume she was wearing.

As she got to Sol, his posture straightened as he stuck out his hand.

"Nice to meet you, ma'am, my name is Sol." His voice stood firm, well as firm as a seven-year-old could make it, and I bit my lip to not laugh. I taught him well.

Malikai's mom looked shocked for a moment before her gaze turned to an amused smile. "It's nice to meet you, Sol, my name's Evangeline and that is my husband Alexander over there." Evangeline took my brother's hand, shaking it lightly as she pointed her head towards the kitchen where her husband stood over the stove.

After a moment of small talk and greetings out of the way, Evangeline excused herself back to help Alex in the kitchen,

"Please make yourself at home, we still have a little over a half-hour before everything is done," She cleared her throat before beckoning Mal over.

I watched as she pulled out the dishes that had to be set on the table, mentioning for him to get it done before sitting down. He nodded and brought over some of the plates to the table, setting the pile down before going back to get the others. As he went back, I motioned Sol to the couch in front of the dining table.

As Sol took a seat, I walked over to help set the dishes with Malikai. Though before I got to lay one out, Evangeline's voice found me.

"Sweetheart you don't have to do that, you're a guest, relax." She urged with a pleading look.

I shook my head gently smiling down at the table as I placed a dark square plate, "It's no issue Evangeline, you know I love helping out," especially for Mal, I thought to myself.

She sighed but thanked me before returning to the food. Mal shuffled back over with the remaining dishes to be set out, his gaze finding mine. The dimly lit atmosphere allowed for a cozy appearance of our surroundings, though it felt like a feigned act of comfort, a mask from the surface.

"Damn, she was glaring daggers into my soul when I came back that second time," He shook his head as he laid out the glass cups, "Aruna, now you can't go home, she's plotting my murder currently," the playful whisper trailed into my ears as I chuckled gently.

"Ah yes, like I wasn't already sleeping over. Sorry pal, looks like I suddenly got plans right after we eat. So I'm gonna rain chec-"

The feeling of Mal's hand slipping around my waist made me stop, my eyes widening to make sure his mom didn't notice. As she stood preoccupied with the boiling liquids and other odd concoctions before her, Mal reached over me, leaning on me as he placed a glass over the last plate I put down. His arms curled around me, holding me in a tight hug.