Chapter 4

I marched to the living room where Zane was sat with Grace comfortably perched on his lap with her back pressed onto his chest as he cradled her in his arms.

"What was that?" I raised an eyebrow as I folded my arms to my chest and laid my side against the door frame 

"What was what?" He calmly asked without even looking at me.

"What was that, 'I'm clumsy nowadays' panicked business?" I emphasised his words.

"Papa! Daddy! You ditab me!" Grace complained from her father's lap, almost making me laugh at her cute mispronunciation of 'disturb'.

"Sorry my Angel," Zane softly apologised, " Daddy has to go talk to your uncle for a second, will you sit and wait for me?" 

Grace nodded, allowing Zane to sit her down on the spot next to where he was sitting before standing up and heading towards me before walking passed me and into heading into the kitchen.

I followed his rigid, tense form into the kitchen to find him pouring himself a glass of wine. Not again.

He sat himself down on the barstool behind the island before staring at me with a bored expression as he held the wine glass in his hand and gently spun it around so the red, bitter liquid swirled around the glass.

"Explain!" I calmly demanded as I leaned against the island and crossed my arms on the island.

"Explain what, Little Brother?" He raised his eyebrow questioningly as he feigned confusion.

"Ah, so you're playing the oblivious game, now?" I smirked.

"Am I?" He raised an eyebrow as he lifted his glass and tilted the glass, letting the red liquid flow into his mouth. 

"Why were you acting so strange, Zane?" I sighed, tired of playing his game of obliviousness.

"So, my glass accidentally slipping from my hand, is me acting strange?" He raised an eyebrow as he took another sip of wine.

"Well accidents happen, but you stammering is unheard of. You don't stammer, Zane, nor do you panic." I said tight lipped, hoping to get a serious, honest answer.

"Nolan, I'm only partially human," He shrugged," Besides, I have my times especially because I was shocked at how young your mate looked. She can't be older than a teenager." 

"So?" I squinted my eyes challengingly.

"Nothing," He shrugged nonchalantly before gulping down the rest of his wine. " I was just surprised." He said as he grabbed the wine bottle and poured himself more wine.

"Zane, I highly doubt something as miniscule as that would cause you to act so strangely and besides, that doesn't explain the panic in your eyes." I continued my interrogation.

"Fine," He shrugged," In all honestly, I was worried because she reminded me of someone. Someone I wish to keep in the past." He calmly responded before lifting his glass and gulping down the whole wine," Happy now?" He stared at me with icy cold, void eyes as he roughly placed the glass onto the island," I'm sorry for having to cut our interrogation short, Nolan, but I have a daughter to take care of." He said, looking at me with daring eyes that challenged me to say otherwise. 

My brother has always been good at hiding his emotions, including hiding his rage, so I was not surprised to see the spark of rage that flashed across his eyes before disappearing as if it never existed. His calmness and nonchalance were the first signs of irritation of being interrogated. He has always been like this, but it only got worse after he got Grace. 

I gave a nod, allowing him to leave the room.

That's enough interrogating for now, before he bursts.

*****