Chapter 29

"I have a granddaughter!" An overly excited, female voice yelled. I found myself furrowing my eyebrows as a groan left my throat in protest of the sudden loud sound. It's way too early for anyone to be this loud.

I tiredly cracked my one eye open just as my door opened - correction, bursted open.

"Wakey wakey, sleepyhead." Mom, all but happily sang as she walked into the room with a bright smile that put the sun's bright light to shame.

"Mom!" I whined. "It's too early."

"Since when has 10h30 been early?" She chuckled, amusement painting her every word. "Besides, there are some people who want to meet you."

"Who are they?" I sighed in defeat as I begrudgingly sat up and finally faced her with tired eyes as I raised my hand to cover the yawn that broke past my lips. My eyebrows instantly furrowed in disgust at the foul smell that was horrible enough to classify a skunk's fart as treasure.  

"Don't be mad," She awkwardly smiled. "But they are Damian's parents." She all but whispered. If I wasn't paying attention or if I was yawning at that exact moment, I would have surely missed what she had just said. But because I wasn't doing any of those things, I heard her as clear as the sky above should be today.

"Pardon?" I looked at her with disbelief as I stifled the yawn that had now created a ball in my throat.

"I asked you not to be mad." She pouted.

"And I'm not," I threw my arms in the air. "But Mom, I'm not re-"

"Is this her?" An enthusiastic voice asked before I even saw the person it belongs to. I didn't get enough time to register my confusion before my life was being almost squeezed right out of me as the woman all but locked me in between her arms in a rather tight embrace. My hands remained firmly pressed against me sides as I awkwardly kept still in the woman's arms as she all but smothered me.

The scent of flowers and vanilla surprisingly comforted and almost relaxed me, but then again, my mind kept on reminding me that she was a stranger. A stranger that was attempting to kill me, it seemed.

"Mom," Damian's familiar voice chastised before I saw him appear next to Mom who was looking at me with a nervous expression. I'm sure she thought I would be upset with her or even worse, overwhelmed - which I kind of was - but I withheld my awkwardness and threw her a shaky smile that I hoped would offer her some comfort while I tried to survive this woman's embrace. "You are overwhelming her."

"Oh, keep quiet, Son." A firm, but playful voice chuckled as another person - a man this time - entered my room. It seems I wasn't getting any slack this morning. Only after a few more seconds of coddling did the woman let go of me. The second I saw her face, my jaw slackened, and I swear my eyes grew to be the size of saucers. The woman was the epitome of youth and beauty. She didn't look a day over her late thirties - she looked like she was probably 38 or even 37. 

"Mom, Dad," Damian groaned as Mom tried to clearly stifle her giggles. She silently placed her hand over his chest and gently patted the spot. His attention instantly drifted to Mom who gave him a reassuring smile but that was about all that I saw before I was all yanked out of my bed and was being spun around the room by my waist. A pair of thick and firm hands kept me steady even as a wave of nausea washed over my body from the unexpected movements. I could barely hear what was being said before I was looking at what I would only refer to as a photocopy of Daniel through blurry eyes as I tried to calm my breathing and most importantly, my stomach.

The man who had almost made me lose the little food I had left in my stomach had the warmest smile with the straightest white teeth that I almost cried and asked him to share his secrets in the arts of teeth. He looked just like Damian, except his hair was a gorgeous, raven black coloured curly mess that framed his face all the way to his neck. His eyes were equally dark, but filled with so much warmth that I felt a sense of protection and comfort in them.  He was really the carbon copy of Damian - maybe he was Damian's fraternal twin brother.