Chapter 7

Zane's POV

"How does this look?" Nolan's panicked voice entered my ears, making me turn from the omelet I was currently making to my panicked little brother.

He had on a plain white t-shirt, black skinny jeans and his favourite pair of white sneakers.

"Good?" I said, more like asked as I stared at his panicked eyes," You do know that you're not going out on a date, right?" I asked him with a smile of amusement. 

"So? I still need to work my charms on her, Idiot!" He seethed, glaring at me as if I had said the stupidest thing in the world.

"Or maybe you're just trying to trick her into thinking that you'll be going out after breakfast," I shrugged," Probably on a date." I raised my eyebrow at him.

He instantly slapped his forehead before looking at me with gratitude shining in his green orbs," I didn't think of that. " He sighed, plopping down on the barstool in front of the island.

"Nolan, chill!" I ordered, before turning around to tend to my hopefully still unburnt omelet," There is absolutely no need for you to change again, my eyes have had enough. "

"Do I look presentable at least?" He asked, still needing the reassurance.

'You should also change! You have to look good for mate too!' Liam huffed in frustration. 

'And why would I do that? You do remember that I have absolutely no intention of trying to get any of Melissa's attention. She is Nolan's mate and that's it!' I coldly said in hopes of hiding the hurt that those words cut into my heart, but sadly, even I could hear the regrettable sorrow that failed to remain hidden from my words.

'That's not true and you know it! Wait 'till I tell Alexander!' He threatened, making a grow elicit from me in warning.

'You will do no such thing!' I growled at him.

'And why not?' He stubbornly fought back like the stubborn wolf he was.

'Because you do not want to lose your brother wolf over a woman.' I deadpanned, receiving silence as a response as the words sunk into his mind. I know that those words hit home.

'You are just scared. Fear is what's bringing out of all this bitterness and all these insensible excuses and you know it. I just hope that you wake up before you cost me something as dear as a mate.' He weakly responded in defeat before his presence completely left my mind, leaving a hollow, empty shell in my mind that only heightened my loneliness and sadly, fueled my guilt and regret. 

As much as I didn't want to admit the truth to myself, I have to. My past regrets are haunting me and I can't do anything about them except feel pity for myself and hurt my friend, my wolf. Liam doesn't deserve this, he deserves having his mate like every other wolf, but because of me, he might never feel the love of his mate. I am costing him his mate by being selfish all because of a stupid but powerful thing as fear.

I'm not only going to lose my mate, but I'm going to lose my wolf too.

Once the bond starts punishing you as it is me for my past endeavours, you start losing your wolf and the only person who can save it is your mate. Liam has been growing weaker since the bond started its punishment on me, but he will only start deteriorating because we have met our mate, you could say a countdown to his death started the moment I laid eyes on her. Unless I mark her, I will lose Liam.

His presence in my mind had grown scarce in the past month because of how weak he had gotten, you could say he tends to fall into a coma so his body can gather energy. A single touch from her would be enough to fool the bond into slowing his death but I just can't push myself into doing so.