Chapter 5

Melissa's POV

I walked into the dining room with the two men at my heels. My mom was enthusiastically humming a tune as she placed the last wine glass next to the plate before she smiled up at me with clear excitement shining brightly from her smiling, dark chocolate almost black like orbs as her grin reached her eyes.

"Hiii!" She enthusiastically beamed at Zane, making me shake my head as I tried to stifle the giggle that threatened to slip in amusement. 

She jumped to shake Zane's hand who looked at her in bewilderment as he shook her hand," I'm Zane, Nolan's older brother and housemate as well as Grace's father." He awkwardly introduced himself with a shaken smile.

My poor mom has that effect on people. Her energy can sometimes be very overwhelming.

"Awe," She cooed at Grace who waved at her enthusiastically," Your daughter is too adorable," She cooed making Grace blush as she giggled," I'm Anne, and you've met my daughter, Melissa." She gestured to me," Please sit," She gestured to the set table," Sorry for the late invitation, my poor Mel can be forgetful."

"Mom!" I whined in embarrassment as I avoided all eye contact with the two brothers and my mother who seems to have made it a mission to embarrass me.

"What?" She innocently smiled at me," It's true and you know it, Sweetheart."

Two masculine, deep chuckles filled the room as Zane and Nolan chuckled at my mother and I's interesting exchange.

"Please take your seats, gentlemen. Make yourselves at home," Mom happily beamed as she made her way towards the table," I'm so sorry, I didn't have something for the cute, little miss to sit on so she can also reach the table. I hope the pillows will be fine." She apologetically smiled at Zane and Nolan.

"No, it's alright, she can sit on my lap, we really wouldn't want to ruin your furniture unnecessarily." Zane reassuringly smiled before making his way to the table.

"No please, I insist. I used to do the same thing for Mel here." She gestured to me, making my face flush in embarrassment.

"Mom!" I softly whined in embarrassment as I made my way to sit next to her as she sat at the head of the table.

"Are you sure, Ma'am?" Zane hesitantly asked as his eyes fleeted to the pillows placed on the head chair that mom had moved for Grace to sit on. There were two head chairs, the one Mom was sitting on and the extra one and they both had arm rests which would prevent Grace from falling off due to the highness of the seat thanks to the generous pillows.

"Please," Mom softly urged with a smile of reassurance painted onto her lips," Also, please call me, Anne. "

"Okay, thanks Anne." Zane smiled in gratitude before placing Grace on the chair and sitting on the one next to it, leaving only two vacant chairs for Nolan to sit on. The chair at the head and the one next to me and of course, he had to sit next to me and abuse my poor mind into sending wrong signals to my body that lacked every ounce of logic.

The moment he placed himself next to me, my heart skipped a beat and I was thankful that I was sat down because if it weren't for that, the floor would have gave me a rude awakening that my body really needed. The butterflies in my stomach made me want to stuff my face with food in hopes of getting rid of them.

Mom reached over the table and pulled off the plastic wrap from the casserole dish, letting the tasty aroma of the lasagna waft into the my nose and fill the room. 

There were six, large, perfectly cut pieces already and I really had to squeeze my hands together in order to not reach for a piece and start munching on it.