Chapter 30

"Will you be back for dinner?" Mom threw me a knowing smile as she leaned her hip against the granite countertops.

"Probably." I innocently smiled at her.

"Suree," She nodded, clearly not convinced. "I'll count you in in case you do. In fact, I'll throw in enough for a feast in case..." She trailed off with a suggestive glance. 

"Mom, no." I tried to keep a blank stare, even as embarrassment made my stomach churn. 

"Go go," She shooed me away with a mischievous grin. "I'll see you later." She giggled.

I could only muster a wave as I left the house - leaving the adults to their chatter as I all but bounced over to our neighbours also known as my mates' house. 

The way I had grown so accustomed to referring to them as 'my mates' had my chest swelling with both joy and surprise. I mean, when I moved here, I never expected my life to change so much. I thought it would just be my mom and me for who knows how long? Probably until I moved out after varsity. The thought of leaving her alone always left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I knew that there wasn't much I could do about that.

I knew and still know that she only wants the best for me and a part of that comes with me living my own life, but the thought never settled well within me. I always hated that thought of leaving my mom alone, but now, I know she'll never be alone and that itself brings a smile to my lips. It makes my heart feel a whole lot lighter and at ease. It's always just been her and I, but now things have changed and most probably for the better. Everything that has happened since we moved here has changed our lives forever and to be honest, I don't mind it one bit. 

Before I knew it, I had my hand raised to the door I was so used to coming to nowadays. But, before I could even knock, the door opened to a nervous Nolan. My heart instantly dropped along with my fist as a frown settled onto my features.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Nolan shakily smiled but shook his head as he gathered me into his warm arms and pressed a kiss onto my forehead.

"Nothing's wrong, Baby. It's just that you came at the most interesting time, is all." He chuckled. The nervous air still surrounding him like a cloud of smoke.

I gently pressed my hands against his chest and looked up at him questioningly. He was acting very weirdly.

"Where are Zane and Grace?" I almost breathily asked as I felt my throat constrict with worry. Horrible scenarios started playing in my head, instantly making my chest feel heavy and my stomach churn with nausea.

"Baby," Nolan softly called, but my attention was growing thinner with every second. "Baby," He softly repeated as he took my face into his hands and made me face his now calm features. His eyes didn't give me any reason to worry anymore that I started worrying that I might have been imagining the expression from earlier. "They are okay," He smiled, "I should have worded myself better. I'm just worried about you because..." He trailed off as he nervously licked his bottom lip. "Promise not to fre-"

"Is that her?" A soft, but firm voice asked. My muscles instantly jolted at the feminine, but strong voice that filled my ears. 

Nolan instantly threw me a reassuring smile before pressing a kiss onto my forehead. 

"Yes, Mom. It's her," He responded, instantly making my jaw drop to the floor for the second time in less than twelve hours. "Mel Baby, meet our mother, Olivia," He sighed as he gently took a hold of my hand and intertwined our fingers before guiding me into the house and closing the door behind us. 

I was instantly greeted by a tall woman with brunette hair that was styled in a pixie cut hairdo. Her eyes were kind and wise onyx colour that made me almost squirm from their intimidating nature. A pair of diamond stud earrings adorned each of her ears along with a small hoop earring at the top of her right ear that was revealed thanks to her hair that was tucked behind her ear. Her pale skin was flawless which explained her lack of makeup except for her glossy red lipstick and eyeliner. Her perfectly arched eyebrows were clearly tweezed, but natural.