Chapter 18

A flinch filled my ears as Damian closed his eyes in what looked like pain.

"Honey, wolves are sensitive to noise. Sharpened senses, and all do that." Mom softly explained.

I immediately felt guilty as I profusely apologised in a quieter tone," I'm so sorry." I didn't want to anger him one bit.

"All is well, Princess." He forced a smile, though it looked more like a grimace.

"Well, I'm so happy for you guys," I smiled at them, feeling genuine happiness at the news. I've always wanted to be a big sister, and at my age, I should be able to spoil my little sibling rotten. I should start looking for jobs. "When did you find out?"

"Last week," Mom said with a weak smile that had me worrying. "When I think of those heavy boxes I lifted when we moved in, I can't help but feel guilty. It could have hurt the baby." She took in a shaky breath as tears welled up in her dark eyes.

"You didn't know, my Love," Damian softly smiled at her as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her impossibly closer to her chest so he could comfort her. A small kiss on the forehead and a few sweet nothings had her sobbing. "They'll be fine, my sweet. They wouldn't have been wolves if they couldn't handle that."

"Besides, you went to the doctor, right?" I softly asked her to which she weakly nodded, " If she or he gave you the green light, trust them, Mom. The baby is okay, I'm sure of it."

"I know," She sniffled," It's just that the thought of having almost hurt them worries me. I'm sure it's the hormones as well, though." She weakly smiled at him before smiling at me.

"I'm happy for you guys, I really am," I smiled, even as a small part of me felt a bit sad. I'm gonna be the black sheep of the family. "If I may ask you guys, do I have to come live in the Alpha's house with you? I mean, I don't wish to intrude or anything." I awkwardly shuffled in my seat.

"You won't be intruding, Melissa. I promise," Damian smiled at me as he looked at me with a genuine smile. "We're a family."

I don't know why I felt so insecure about myself. Maybe it's because I never saw myself having a stepfather or having a family aside from my grandparents and Mom. I don't know. It all feels strange. It feels like I'll be the awkward stepdaughter forcing herself into his family.

"Mel Honey, tell me. How do you feel about Grace?" She asked.

My face immediately lit up as I thought about that cutie.

"She's so adorable, and I simply can't resist her cuteness. My heart always swells in happiness after seeing her." I happily gushed as the image of the little Cutie came to my head.

"Do you ever feel this need to nurture her, be there for her, and be the person she comes to to tell stories about school, about her good days and bad days?" Mom smiled with genuine glee.

I had to think that one through, and to my surprise, the image of it all made my heart thump in happiness. It felt like a good dream.

"I guess so." I responded.

"Well, that's how a parent always feels for their child. In Damian's case, he's overprotective and would do anything for his loved ones. Aren't you surprised that you were accepted by Denford University on such short notice? Especially when you were a late applicant?" She giggled.

Suddenly, everything made sense.

"You did it, didn't you, Damian?" I curiously asked.

"Yes, I couldn't let m-you not have a school." He quickly corrected himself with a quick clearing of his throat.