Chapter 16

"This isn't what was supposed to happen!" He panicked as his eyes darted toward everyone in the room until they stopped on me. All the rage and mortification disappeared and was replaced by many emotions, mainly joy, confusion and regret. "It wasn't supposed to be this way."

"So I was supposed to let a member of my pack die? I was supposed to let my daughter's mate die?" Damian asked in a deathly calm voice that said he was on thin ice. Wait, did he say daughter?

"I don't deserve her!" He cried as he tears slid down his cheeks and broke my heart. My hand ached to wipe them off his pale cheeks, but I couldn't find the courage in me to do that. "Please leave. All of you!" He growled, like actually growled like an animal.

I couldn't help the flinch that left my body as I dropped his hand as if it were hot fire.

A pair of strong, firm arms immediately caged me against a firm and muscular chest. I already knew it was Nolan as he rubbed the sides of my arms with his larger, warmer hands. The warmth that spread from them calmed my nerves down as I avoided eye contact with the person on the bed.

"I understand you are upset, but do not EVER yell at our mate again." Nolan said with such power and strength that I felt myself visibly shiver in his arms. The power that oozed from him was so strong, but it made me feel so safe. Like no one and nothing could ever hurt me while I was in his arms.

"Please leave." Zane whispered like a broken child.

"We should give him some space before he snaps and says something he will regret." Mom said with such warmth and softness coated with a ton of authority and power.

No one questioned her as we all followed behind her. Nolan closed the door behind us without a word, not giving me a chance to even think about turning around and looking back.

"Are you alright, Mel?" Nolan worriedly asked as he took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I sighed, even though it felt like my brain was struggling to process everything before it exploded. "I think I need some time to absorb all of this and probably stew over it too."I awkwardly chuckled.

"A good night's sleep might be the first step to that. It's already nine, but first, I hear you haven't eaten anything. Please let me warm up some of tonight's dinner? Just take a few bites then you can go to bed, please?" He begged.

"Sure, thank you." I immediately responded because in all honesty, my stomach was empty.

He smiled at me and led me towards the kitchen before having me sit in on one of the barstools as he heated up some creamy pasta. My stomach immediately groaned at the sweet aroma, but this time, I didn't care. I just waited patiently for him until he placed the plate with pasta and a fork in front of me and took a seat next to me. It almost seemed like his body needed to be close to me, perhaps it was for reassurance, I don't know. I do know that my body warmed up at his affectionate gaze that I tried to ignore as I grabbed the fork and stabbed into the pasta, making sure that the head of the fork was severely covered.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I curiously asked as I took note of the absence of food in front of me.

He shook his head and softly smiled at me. "I'm not feeling that hungry." He replied. My face immediately turned into a frown as my gaze froze on the food in front of me. I wonder.

I turned the fork in his direction and ordered," Eat."

Normally I have a thing with sharing things with people I don't quite know yet, but something inside me wouldn't let that get to me as I firmly stared at the man in front of me.