Chapter 20

A part of me felt furious at the sudden presence. I felt like after so much neglect and so much pain, he appears. However, another part of me felt relieved, it felt an unexplainable amount of happiness.

"Zane." Damian's firm voice greeted before I could turn around and make sure that it was really him myself even though I already knew.

"Good afternoon, Alpha." Zane politely greeted with such guilt in his tone that it made me physically shiver.

"How may we assist you?" Damian coldly asked with such calmness that I felt scared for my 'mate'.

"I know I don't deserve to ask this of you or anyone, especially Melissa, but, I would like a chance to speak with my mate, please?" He weakly asked," After what happened last time, I can't let it happen again and I can't let her go through all that pain because of me. Not anymore."

Damian faced me with a questioning stare, but as hard as it was, I could see the genuine concern in those blues. A part of me wanted to say no to Zane's request, but another part of me wouldn't let me because I knew that if I didn't give him a chance to say what he came here to say, I would forever regret it.

"It's fine, Damian. I'll hear him out." I weakly smiled at the man in front of me.

"Are you sure?" He asked with worry coating his words. It was almost overwhelming and I feared I would drown in it. The way he openly cared for me was always so touching that in times like now, it gave me strength.

"Yes, I'm sure. I don't want to regret not doing it in the future." I explained.

"Okay, Sweetheart. I'll respect your wishes," He sighed before giving Zane a glare," If you dare hurt my daughter again, pack member or not, mate or not, you will regret it." He quietly growled.

"It's fine, Damian." I reassured.

"I'll wait for you in the car, alright?" He asked as he got up, taking his coffee with him.

"That's fine, thank you." I responded. At least if I needed to get out of here, it will be a quick escape.

I gave him a stiff nod in response which he returned before throwing Zane one last dirty look on his way out.

A few seconds after the door of the café closed behind Damian, Zane moved from behind me and took the seat that Damian had been previously occupying, but I couldn't face him. Instead, I looked at the untouched cupcake in front of me that no longer looked even half as appetising. The sight of the croissant almost made me gag as I tried to see it in the same light as before, but I couldn't. My appetite was completely destroyed and the thick tension around Zane and I was only making it harder to even breath. My stomach was painfully churning with nerves that the only thing I could look at was the coffee in front of me. For some reason, the smell of the coffee beans was calming even as the sweetness almost made me gag.

"Melissa," Zane's broken, weak voice greeted my ears. Shivers descended down my spine at the familiarity, but I had to squeeze my eyes as not to cry from the feelings that threatened to tear me apart. Maybe I wasn't ready to face him after all, but I knew I could not not face him today. "I'm sorry," His voice broke. "I know sorry is not enough for what I've done to you. For how I chased you out the last time, for how I've avoided you almost two whole weeks afterward and for how I've brought you nothing but pain, I wouldn't blame you for never forgiving me because I myself can't even look at myself," He dryly chuckled.

"I don't deserve you, Melissa and I don't think I ever will," He croaked. My heart shattered at his words as I bit my bottom lip to try and hold the tears, but I failed as one tear slid down my cheek. "Unlike Nolan, I didn't wait for you instead, I was selfish and was a playboy, but even so, I don't regret my daughter, I will never regret Grace because she changed me. She brought the light into my life and I will forever be grateful for her. I just wish I wasn't the way I was back then. After Grace's birth, I changed my ways, but it was too late by then," He dryly laughed," I was sure I would never find you, but the punishment of the mate bond reminded me that you were still alive, even though I already knew deep down that I didn't deserve you. No. Not me and so, I spent my time drowning myself in work and alcohol to try and forget, but nothing worked. The alcohol was a fluke from the get-go, but I was always a fan of the beverage any way," He weakly chuckled.