Chapter 27

"This sucks." I pouted as we walked down the bright, loud building in search of a restaurant so we could feed my empty stomach.

We just left the bowling alley, and as I guessed, I spontaneously lost to the two mates of mine. I know I should have felt pouty and maybe frustrated and embarrassed, but instead, I felt happy. Seeing them happy and having them try missing shots until I told them to play a fair game was fun. I would lose many more times to see those warm eyes melt in happiness.

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart, maybe you'll win next time, though." Nolan reassured as he gently squeezed my hand that was in his.

"No, no," I shook my head," It was fun regardless. Besides, it's not just about winning, right?" I grinned at them.

"Perhaps..." Zane trailed off as he moved his hand from mine and to the small of my back.

I lightly giggled at his sweet behaviour before an excited squeal left my lips as I spotted my dear friend walking with a guy I hadn't met before. He was probably as tall as Nolan but had a thicker built. The guy was fairly muscular, giving me the impression that he worked out a lot.

"Annie!" I shamelessly called. Her attention instantly moved from the guy and stopped at me. The smile on her lips grew as she took the guy's hand and pulled him in our direction. The guys and I met her half way, before they let me go so I could give her a hug and vice versa.

"Hey, girl," She softly squealed before letting go. "How have you been?" She asked as she went back to the guy's side. She strapped her arm around his waist as he did hers, giving me a clear idea of who this guy might be.

"Good, honestly," I chuckled," What about you? It seems you were serious about the Sleeping Beauty legend." I hinted.

Her pale cheeks instantly grew a lighter shade of red, but a big smile marred her features as she nodded.

"Yeah, you'd be surprised by how much," She giggled. "Lisa, this is my mate, Ryan," She introduced," Ryan, this is my friend Melissa and her mates."

Ryan shyly smiled at us and bowed his head," A pleasure to meet you, Melissa," He smiled at me," And a pleasure to see you both doing well, Zane, Nolan."

Why am I not surprised they already know each other.

"Great to see you keeping up with training, Warrior Ryan." Zane nodded approvingly at Ryan as he moved himself closer to me and placed his hand on the small of my back.

"I owe that all to you." Ryan shot Zane a boyish smile.

"Not at all. It's all because of your hard work and dedication, Ryan." Zane chuckled.

Ryan merely hummed in response before saying," Anyway, I better take this lady of mine to the arcade before she cancels our date."

"I'll see you on Monday." I winked at Melanie. She playfully rolled her eyes at me in response, but soon after, a giddy giggle left her lips as she nodded at me.

The guys said their goodbyes before we parted ways with Melanie and her mate.

"It's good to see that Ryan found his mate. The Goddess knows how much he's needed her." Nolan softly said. His voice was so soft, but you could hear the pity in his words as he gently squeezed my hand.

I pressed my already shut lips together so as not to let curiousity dictate the words that lingered on the tip of my tongue.

"He lost his parents when he was seventeen," Zane explained," They were both warriors in the pack and always served with such dedication and honour. Everyone was heartbroken when news of their death arrived.  The Alpha even went as far as to arrange a grieving period for them."