Chapter 17

The salty smell of bacon and pancakes had me moaning in my sleep dazed state. My stomach growled as my mouth watered in anticipation as the taste of sweet food taunted my tastebuds. To top it all off, the familiar smell of coffee filled the air.

I couldn't help myself as my eyes snapped open. My eyes were immediately greeted by the brightness in my room from the bright and generous morning sun that slipped through my dark blue curtains.

I felt very rejuvenated after a good night's rest that I all but hopped out of my bed and made my way to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth before making my way back back my bedroom to change into a pair of knee length, jean shorts and a white off the shoulder, frilly top. I slipped on my morning shoes and left my bonnet on before fixing my bed and opening the curtains to let the already intruding sunlight in before all but running to the kitchen to a sweet sight.

"Good morning." I greeted the couple who were making breakfast together. Damian was flipping the pancake in the pan while Mom was preparing the coffee.

"Good morning, to you too, Darling. You look cute." Mom complimented as she smiled at me. The funny thing is that she was wearing the same top as me, her jeans were also blue, but I'm not sure if they were long skinny jeans or shorts. Damian on other hand had also changed into a white muscle tee and some black jeans. I couldn't see the shoes from this distance.

"That you do, Sweetheart. Morning." Damian chipped in, making me smile at the normalcy of the situation. It felt like this is how it's always been, like I've had two parents all my life. It was a great feeling, even though I knew that it wasn't real, but a part of me wished it was.

"Thank you both," I smiled as I made my way towards the counter," How may I help?"

"No no, Chef Mel. Today is our turn," Mom tsked as Damian nodded in agreement. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," I smiled,"I'm still taking everything in though."

"That's understandable, " Mom smiled as she made her way to me and placed a plate and cup in front of me before placing a sweet kiss on my cheek. She then went back to where she was, leaving me with my plate of food and cup of coffee. I had two medium-sized pancakes in front of me with four streaks of bacon. My coffee looked appetising with its bitter, but sweet aroma that confirmed that Mom had added some sugar and was light brown due to the milk. "Eat up then we can go chat in the living room."

I nodded and took a bite of the slightly crispy but moist and salty piece of meat which immediately had my tastebuds tingling in excitement. Gosh, I love bacon. Before long, Mom placed the bottle of syrup and my fork and knife in front of me before taking a seat next to me as we ate in silence. The sweetness of the pancake went so well with the saltiness of the bacon that I had to swallow multiple moans while trying to eat at a normal pace.

Once everything was gone from my plate and all the liquid had been drained from my cup, I grabbed my dirty plate, cup and utensils and made my way over to the sink to wash them.

"May I add ours?" Mom asked as she indicated to the plates, cups and utensils in her hand.

"Sure." I shrugged, allowing her to put her dirty dishes in the sink so I could wash them too. Soon I had all the dishes put away and the kitchen countertops were clean so I made myself a cup of tea which I carried into the living room where Mom sat with Damian on the two seater chair. Damian had his hand gently placed on Mom's knee while Mom leaned against Damian with a content smile. I'm guessing this is what love looks like.

I went to the single seater couch and plopped down, nursing my cup of tea on my lap as I waited for them to start.

"Right," Damian sighed," How do you feel about yesterday? Are you convinced that you have soulmates?"