Chapter 2

I laid still in the darkness for a few minutes. I felt like the air had been sucked out of my chest. When I felt like I had the strength, I sat up and looked around. I had ended up in a sewer somewhere. I stood up slowly and began to try to find a way out of this sewer. 

Stumbling through the dark, I made my way outside where it was dark. I looked around frantically for a land mark I might recognize. I saw none, and the more I observed my surroundings, I realized I was not in any place familiar. The buildings were different than anything I had ever seen, and the few people milling about were dressed oddly. I decided to approach a young couple and get some answers, "I'm sorry. Could you tell me where I am?"

"Why Paris, of course!" she smiled, "The city of love!"

"Thank you," I said quietly. I hurriedly walked away and shook my head. I waited for another person to approach for my next question, "Excuse me, do you know the date?"

"Of course, Mademoiselle," a young man answered me, "It's June 15th 1871."

"Thank you," I said. 

I tried to piece everything together... As the thoughts swirled about in my head, I realized that I was in Paris in the 1870s which meant one thing... I had fallen into the world of Phantom of the Opera.

But the Phantom of the Opera was just a story, right?

I had no idea what to do with myself, but I knew that I needed to find clothes to fit in and soon, because I was getting strange looks from everyone. My gorgeous black stilettos clicked against the cobblestone as I looked for a shop open and selling clothes. Finally, I spotted a little store that looked open and had dresses in the window. 

"Madame," I greeted walking in, "I really need to purchase some clothes-"

"Oh, come in dear. You can't be seen out like that! Forget purchasing... I have a few old dresses in the back that you can have. Do you have a trunk? Are you well?"

"I'm just fine. I do not have a trunk."

"Let me see what I can dig up." 

I was unsure why this woman was suddenly being so kind to the odd stranger in her store. Either way, I was relieved and grateful, especially, when I remembered I likely had no currency that would be of use. 

The woman urged me to change into a very full green gown. I accepted gratefully, and she helped me to dress in my brand new corset and green gown. 

I thanked her profusely as she handed me a old trunk with a few dresses inside. Then she wished me well, and I left. 

Finally, it hit me that I had lost my home and my entire life. I sat down on the side of the road with my back pressed against a building. 

As I sat, I became drowsy and leaned against the building more... that was until I felt the building give way. Suddenly, I was falling and flailing backwards and landed with a thud, my trunk on top of me.