Chapter 54

I had been too hopeful, wishing too hard that everything would be okay. This attitude only made it harder as I watched the love of my life deteriorate before my very eyes.

The girls knew too. Erik tried to downplay it, but they knew. It destroyed Genevieve most of all. She would sit next to his bed and sing to him. One day I eavesdropped as they talked, Genevieve spoke shakily, "Papa, I know this baby didn't come about it the most joyous way, but I want you to be here. Please keep fighting."

I couldn't understand Erik's mumbles, but saw as he placed a hand on her growing belly.

I began to sob and quickly dashed away slamming into Gisele, "Mama, you have to stop hiding your grief. Georgette needs to see you cry. She thinks she shouldn't because she needs to be strong for you. I told her she doesn't need to be strong for you, but she needs to be there for you."

I held my daughter tightly, impressed by her wisdom and strength, "I hope that John is as good a husband to you as your father is to me..."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, Mama. John knows he has high standards to live up to. Papa is the most wonderful man I've ever known."

Georgette approached us and joined in the hug, "Georgette, it's okay to cry... you know that right?"

She broke down into tears, "I can't imagine a world without Papa in it..."

The three of us hugged and soon another set of arms joined us: Genevieve.

"Mama, he's asking for you."

I went into his room, "Hey, you..."

He moaned as he adjusted his position, "Hello, darling. Will you lay with me?"

I crawled into bed with him and laid my head on his chest. His breathing was labored now. It wouldn't be long.

"Do you think I'll go to hell?"

"What?" I asked, no louder than a whisper.

"When I die, do you think I'll go to hell for some of the things I've done?"

"Oh Erik," I couldn't hold back my tears, "You are one of the most wonderful men I have ever met. I think what you've done for your daughters, me, and your park employees far outweighs anything you had to do to survive. I believe that with my whole heart."

He began to cry, "Caroline, I can't hold on much longer. I want you to know that without you, I would be nothing. If you hadn't come into my life, I don't know what I would have become. You have made the pains of my past worth it. If I had to live my life again, I would suffer again, ten times over, if that meant I was able to have you again."

"Erik..." I had no words. My idol, my companion, the love of my life was slipping away right in front of me, "I love you endlessly."

"I love you too, Caroline... I'm very tired."

I kissed him. "It's over now, the music of the night..." I whispered as he closed his eyes.

Gustave rushed over to be with him. The girls came in to be with him, but those striking eyes would never open again; those lips would never kiss mine again; those hands would never write another piece of music... the music of the night was truly over.