Chapter 50

My husband questioned every employee of his park until he found the man responsible. Out of fear, the man immediately admitted to his deed and Erik, with more self control than ever, fired him, contacted the police, and banned him from ever entering Phantasma again.

In the meantime, Genevieve and I talked at length about what awaited her. Her father, the great magician that he was also had some tricks up his sleeve.

It came about that Georgie, our beloved neighbor's son, had come to Erik before we had even known that Genevieve was pregnant and asked for permission to court her. Erik was a progressive man and stated that he would not give that permission without first receiving Genevieve's permission.

Erik had broken this news to me the night of our family heart-to-heart. I suggested that after talking with Genevieve, we fill Georgie in on the current situation and see if his offer still stood. While the courting process and the taboo about Genevieve's situation disgusted me to no end, Erik reminded me that this was a different century and all we could do was give our daughter the best chance.

Once things had calmed down a bit and a doctor had confirmed that Erik and I would be grandparents, Erik broached the subject gently with Genevieve, "My dear girl," Erik said as we treated her to afternoon tea and her favorite pastries, "It came about a few weeks ago that a young gentleman would like to court you."

"Papa, you can't possibly expect that offer stands with my condition," Genevieve replied.

"Well, I may not be sure. However, I wanted to ask you if you would give permission for Georgie to court you."

A blush came over her cheeks, "I...I...I always thought Georgie would go after a nice, normal girl..."

"Normalcy is overrated," Erik said quietly, "You are spectacular in every way, Gen-Gen."

Genevieve's breathing hitched for a moment, "You haven't called me that nickname in so long, Papa. I missed it."

Erik went and sat down next to her. She practically crawled into his lab and whimpered, "I'm so scared..."

Erik rocked her as he held her tightly, "Gen-Gen, listen to me. Your mother and I will be here for you through everything. Now, do I have your permission to see if Georgie will court you?"

She nodded and said, "Though I can't imagine why he'd do that now."

Erik and I invited Georgie and our dear friends, George and Mary, over for afternoon tea. Genevieve sat with us.

I began speaking first, "Georgie, it has come up that you wish to court Genevieve."

He smiled happily and looked affectionately at my daughter, "Yes, ma'am."

"Georgie... George and Mary, we have some news about Genevieve..." Erik began, "She was sexually assaulted and became pregnant in the attack."

Georgie saw Genevieve shrink into her chair embarrassed and saddened. He immediately went to her side and took her hand in his, "Genny, are you okay? It's okay, Genny."

He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. She whimpered inaudibly into his shoulder.

Erik was clearly emotional too, so he cleared his throat and continued, "We wanted to disclose anything that would change your mind."

"Change my mind about what?" Georgie asked.

"Courting Genevieve in her condition."

George Sr. spoke, "I say to hell with courting. My son is in love with your daughter and nothing is going to change that, not for us either."

Mary, my best friend smiled, "We'll be family!"

Erik and George nodded approvingly at Georgie, and he smiled. He took Genevieve's hand in his, "Genny... Genevieve Marie Destler, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Yes, Georgie. A thousand times, yes."