Chapter 43

Christine Daae deChagny was dead when the sun rose the next day.

Erik was trying to keep his composure. However, I could tell he was clearly upset. He was playing on his piano when I entered his music room.

I watched him for a few moments before I walked over and put a hand on his shoulder. He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it, a gesture he frequently used to show affection since our early days in the lair.

"It's okay to be upset. I know she was your first love."

He pulled me down next to him on his piano bench as tears escaped his eyes, "I don't know why you love me... all the hell I've put you through..."

"No, Erik. Don't slip on me," I caressed his deformed cheek and ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm not slipping. I'm beyond that now, but I realize how difficult I've been. Even this baby..." he put his hand on my growing stomach, "I forced you into wanting another child."

"Erik, this little angel is a gift. We were obviously meant to have another child. I wanted more after Genevieve, but you were so opposed..."

He leaned on me heavily with his face near my stomach, "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come to me that night. I can't imagine how I would be living right now. You have saved me in every way."

"You don't realize, but you have saved me too."

Shortly after Christine's death, Gustave began coming over to our home for music lessons. Marguerite was too small, but she would eventually start lessons with Erik too.

Gustave was talented no doubt, but he didn't have perfect pitch like Erik and Genevieve which caused Erik some frustration.

Gustave was a wonderful child. He greeted me every time he came to our house for a lesson with a kind, "Hello, Madame Destler!"

One particular day, Raoul came to my home in the middle of the day while Erik was at the theater and all of the children were in school. I answered the door, "Madame Destler, I hope I'm not intruding."

"Caroline please," I responded, reminding him for the umpteenth time.

"May I speak to you for a moment?"

"Of course! Please come in. Can I get you coffee or tea?"

"I don't want to be any bother," he sat down in our foyer and I sat across from him, "I need reassurance," he said quietly.

"I'm not sure how I can help, but I'll surely try," I replied.

His eyes went to his shoes, "Caroline, surely by now you've realized or Erik had told you..." he hesitated. His eyes wondered to my growing stomach and then to the painting of my daughters above the fireplace. I'm sure his mind was racing how damaging his information about Gustave could be.

"It's alright, Raoul. I know about Gustave."

"Oh good. Does your husband... what I'm saying is... Does Erik have any intentions of telling him or trying to raise him alongside your girls?" Tears began to fall from Raoul's eyes, "I'm sorry. It's the loss of Christine and I can't lose..." his sobs choked out the rest of his words.

I went and sat next to him. He sobbed uncontrollably and I held his hand. I couldn't believe what was happening in this life I had been given.

"I'm sorry, Madame. I don't mean to upset you in your condition. When are you due?"

"It's alright! Please I'm fine. I'm not due for another couple of months."

"Darling! I'm home!" Erik's voice came from the front door.

"In here, dear! We have company!"

Erik came in and saw Raoul. Raoul was still crying and looked disheveled.

I spoke immediately, "He came to see me regarding Gustave and your intentions."

"My intentions? I have none. I'd like to give both him and Marguerite music lessons, but that decision is ultimately yours as their father."

I smiled at Erik. He was so skilled with words.

Raoul began to cry harder. Erik came over and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Vicomte, we've had our differences, but I say now that we set them aside in loving memory of your wife."

"I'd like that," Raoul said quietly, " You're a good man, Erik."

I smiled at my husband knowing that's all he ever wished to be a man... and even better: a good man.