Chapter 35

In the coming days, Erik and George worked furiously on the nursery. George and Mary were panicking, and for once, Erik and I were the calm voices of reason. Despite their excitement, they were incredibly unprepared for this baby.

It had been a beautiful day, and I had gone over to visit with Mary. Erik stayed home with Gisele. Mary was ready to pop. In the days prior, I had seen how miserable she was and knew she had to be close to delivering her baby.

As I walked up to the front door, I had a sick feeling in my gut. I knew something was wrong. I knocked on the door and heard moaning mixed with my name. Quickly, I opened the door and found Mary laying on the floor, "My God! Mary what's happened?"

She moaned, "I fell on the last step, and it hurts." She was surrounded by a puddle of fluid.

"Honey, I think you're in labor now. Where's George?"

"He went to the town over to take care of some business. Caroline, why does it hurt so bad?"

"Do you think you're hurt from the fall?" I asked.

"I don't know... Do you think the baby will be okay?" she moaned and groaned in pain.

"Let me go get Erik. We need to move you."

I ran home as quickly as I could, "Erik! Grab Gisele and come quick. Mary needs our help!"

Erik came down the stairs with Gisele in his arms, "What's happened?"

"She fell, and their little one is coming now!"

We returned to Mary where she was writhing in pain. After placing Gisele in a basinet, Erik and I went to Mary and gently lifted her from the floor. We were able to move her to the couch. "Erik, I don't know what to do."

"Well, it's a long story that I haven't told you before, but there's no time now.  I shall explain it all later."

I nodded, "Tell me what to do."

"Boil water and gather towels," as Erik spoke Mary shrieked, "There is no time to waste."

After retrieving what Erik asked for, I knelt next to Mary, "You're going to be just fine, Mary. I promise." I sat with her for a long time trying to keep her calm.

"Mary? Where are you?"

"George!" she screeched. George came running into the living room where Mary was likely minutes from delivering their baby.

Erik was calmer than I had ever seen him. He delivered our dear friend's son as if he were a doctor. When Mary was resting comfortably and George was rocking their son, Georgie, Erik and I took leave of their home.

Upon our arrival home, I kissed his cheek, "So there has to be a story? You were incredible."

"Well, the gypsy that looked out for me when I was in the feel show died in child birth. When Madame Giry told me she was pregnant after her husband had recently died, I researched all I could to help her if I was needed. I couldn't lose her too. The research all paid off because Meg happened to be born down in my lair during a massive snow storm."

My heart swelled with pride. Erik was a beautiful person. "So just Meg then?" I asked quietly.

"Yes. I was prepared to deliver Gisele if need be, but I was so nervous. I was thankful Madame Giry was there."

"You surprise me in the most wonderful way everyday."

I gave him a kiss on the cheek without the mask. He seemed to know that I was thinking about his mask.

"I'm trying, Caroline. I'm trying to get over the insecurity of my mask."

I kissed his lips silencing him, "I adore you, Erik. Take as much time as you need."