Chapter 17

Erik became more ill as the week went on, but we managed his coughing fits with the herbal remedies that the doctor had provided for us. He was a little weak and so he had to succumb to lying in bed most of the day. I was worried about him, but he seemed to be doing well overall. When I went into his room one bright morning, he was propped up against the pillows with his head turned to the side, looking out the windows, "Good morning," I whispered as I walked into his room with his breakfast tray.

He turned his head to look at me, and I smiled at him. He hadn't been wearing his mask lately at all. I wasn't sure if it was because he was ill and he didn't want to, or if he was finally becoming comfortable with me, "Good morning," he said quietly, breaking my thoughts. 

"I made you breakfast. I also found an interesting new breakfast beverage I would like you to try," I referred to the coffee. 

Erik always had tea available for us in the lair, but now that I was able to go to the market at the beach, I was able to purchase coffee. That was one thing I did miss from the modern world. 

"Oh," he smiled, "I've heard of it, but I've never tried it." I handed him the cup, and he took a sip of it, "It's quite good. I like the bitterness of it." 

"Good," I smiled as I set the tray on his lap. 

I turned to leave and go get his silverware that I had forgotten, "Won't you sit with me?" he asked. His eyes twinkled with hope, but his face displayed sadness at the possibility that I was leaving him. 

Turning back to look at him, I smiled and let out a small giggle, "I'm just going to get your silverware. I'll be back!"

"You're laughing at me?" 

"I think it's sweet," I gave a small smile and left, only to return quickly with silverware, "Here," I handed it to him, "I hope you enjoy." 

I sat down on the edge of his bed, and he reached for my hand. He held it in his icy hand and gave my hand a small squeeze. 

"I need to tell you something, Caroline," he said quietly. 

I grew nervous as he spoke. 

"Caroline, I've never been skilled at expressing my feelings or even understanding my feelings, but..." he trailed off, "Caroline, we've been through hell and back the past couple of months. I know that night with the wine.... I know we said that we were happy as companions, but... Oh Caroline, I guess what I'm trying to say here is... I love you."

I put my hand over my mouth.

"I understand if you don't feel the same because I'm different, but I just wanted you to know." 

"Erik, I've been wanting to tell you I loved you from the moment I met you."

"You can't be serious... the moment you met me?"

"The heart always knows," I smiled to myself at the Love Never Dies reference. I leaned toward him and kissed his bumpy cheek while placing my hand on the opposite smooth cheek. "I love you, Erik."