Chapter 38

That night, after our friends had left and the girls were in bed, Erik came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, "My beautiful wife..." he whispered, kissing my neck.

I giggled as his kisses tickled my neck, "How was you birthday, darling?"

"It was lovely," he nuzzled my ear.

"Erik..." I moaned, "We can't... My cycle is... Well, unless you want another baby, we can't."

He turned me so our bodies were pressed together, and he kissed me passionately. When he broke away, I was breathless, "What's gotten into you, handsome?" I placed my hands on his cheeks.

Wordlessly, he continued giving me more kisses and rubbing his hands up and down the bodice of my dress.

"Erik, what are you doing?" I whispered.

"Would it be so bad to bring another child into this world?"

"Well, no. Erik, shouldn't we discuss this though?"

"I thought you'd be thrilled at the prospect of bringing another Destler into the world..." he seemed defeated.

"I would be, but I just want to know what changed your mind. After Genevieve, you were the one who insisted we be extremely careful."

I saw tears welling in his eyes. It took me by surprise because he hadn't become this emotional in a long time. "Erik..." I hugged him tightly.

"They're growing up too fast... With the girls, I was mentally unwell when they were infants, and I just want another chance. I want the girls to see how good of a father I can be."

"Oh, Erik... you are a good father. Your daughters adore you."

"Forget I mentioned anything," he sniffled.

"Erik, no. I'm not opposed. I just wanted us to have a conversation about this before we bring another life into the world.

"My dear, I don't want to cause you any grief or trouble. Please just forget..."

"Erik," I cupped his face with my hands, "You rarely share many of your thoughts or feelings. For you to bring this up, it must be something you feel strongly about. If you believe that we have the love to give another child and the financial means to give three children a good upbringing, then," I kissed his lips, "Shall we continue?"

His eyes twinkled, "You are the best thing that ever happened to me," he murmured.