Chapter 27

We were packing up our most important belongings when Erik grabbed my hand and made me hesitate, "Caroline, are you sure you're okay with us leaving? You've just acclimated to the environment here, and now you're forced to move because of my past."

"Erik," I whispered, taking a step closer to him, "You and Gisele are all that matter to me. We have spent six weeks being tortured by not knowing if Raoul will break down the doors and kill all of us. We must leave. I am well enough, and Gisele is healthy." I hesitated again, "Erik, can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"When will you believe that this is not a ruse?"

His eyes glazed over with tears, and he buried his face in my neck. The cold porcelain sent a chill down my spine. He had been wearing his mask more often since we hadn't been completely alone. I missed his face.

"I don't know that I'll ever fully believe that a woman like you could ever love me... could ever want to conceive children with me... could kiss this cursed face...could spend the rest of her life looking upon this excuse for a man."

"But I do, Erik. You must know that by now. You must know that I see you as beautiful inside and out." His eyes met mine and I could hardly stand the sadness that filled them, "What's on your mind, my darling?"

"Old memories... painful memories. For once, I felt like a man, but then suddenly Christine and Raoul made me feel like a hunted beast again."

My heart shattered as I held him in my arms. I was desperate to leave this awful place when suddenly the Daroga burst into the room, "Gisele... she's vanished."

AN:
Hey! Sorry for the short chapter! I had a bit of writer's block, but I have ideas now! Please keeping commenting and reading! I love hearing what you all think!