Chapter 10

That evening, I persuaded Erik to sit with me at the organ and play for awhile. He played some beautiful pieces of his own composing. 

"Erik, do you know 'Amazing Grace?'"

"The hymn?" he questioned.

"Yes, I used to sing it with my parents at church. Do you think you could play it?"

He began to play the notes, and I sang along to the hymn that was familiar to me. It was one of the only familiar things since I had arrived in this new world. While I was only a stage manager in the life I left behind, I actually had a decent soprano voice. I would never rival the beautiful sopranos that appeared on the stage that I used to work, but I could carry a tune. 

When Erik played the final sustain of the song, I sighed and smiled. 

"Caroline, you have a beautiful voice. Maybe I could teach you more music?"

"I would love that, Erik." There was a long silence between us.

"Well, I think that's enough excitement for this evening. You need rest."

"Oh, fine," I grumbled.

"Until tomorrow, my dear," he said. 

"Until tomorrow."

The next morning when I awoke, I felt astronomically better than I had since I had shown up in 1871. It had been one week since I arrived, and life was going well for the most part. Erik was opening up, and I enjoyed his company. 

I freshened up, still wishing for a bath, and squeezed into my corset. As uncomfortable as the things was, it did make me feel classy and beautiful in this era. Then I dressed in a fresh dress that was a beautiful cream color. "Good morning, my dear," Erik said when I emerged in the main space of the lair. 

I was surprised when I saw a table set up in the middle of the main space with two chairs, "What's going on here?" I smiled.

"Well, I wanted this place to feel like home for you. Not everyone likes living underground like this," he smirked.

"I don't mind it at all, but I appreciate this!" 

"Please sit, I've prepared breakfast." 

I sat down at the table and he placed a plate of food in front of me. Then he sat across from me. I began to eat, but then realized he wasn't eating, "I'm sorry. How rude of me! I should have waited for you to start eating."

"Oh no, I don't eat much. I also can't eat with..." he trailed off and I shot him a look knowing he was going to say never mind. He continued, "I can't eat with the mask on."

I wasn't sure if now was the time to start the fight of the mask. He was finally starting to warm up to me a little.  I didn't want to ruin it. "By all means, this is your home. If you're more comfortable without it, you don't need to-"

"No, I do need to," he snapped.

"Erik, I don't understand."

"You don't need to understand," he replied cooly.

"Oh..." I said slightly hurt by his outburst, "Alright. Please just make sure you eat." I knew I had to keep my calm or I would lose him.

"I will. I'm sorry."

"You don't need to be sorry. Just be patient with me. We're getting to know each other, and we have to get used to one another's quirks as housemates."

"I do apologize, and I appreciate your patience with me." 

I finished eating my breakfast, and we were mostly quiet. I think Erik felt awkward after our brief disagreement. He cleared his throat which seemed to be a nervous habit of his, "Well, I need to go retrieve a few necessities today. Can I get you anything?"

"No, I don't believe I need anything."

"You must need something. You showed up with one trunk."

"No, no. I do have one question Can I bathe?" 

"Yes, of course. I'll get the wash basin ready for you before I leave."

"Thank you." 

He left shortly after getting the wash basin ready for me. I didn't know what to do. I felt bad for upsetting him, but at the same time, we were roommates. He would have to get used to me eventually. 

I was deep in thought, but I cleaned up and got dressed again. I decided to tidy up for him. Then I decided to make a soup with the few things he had in the kitchen area. I was going to make sure he ate something. He looked almost sickly. I wanted to help him so badly. 

I heard a noise and called out, "Erik? Is that you?"

"Yes, my dear. Are you well?"

"Just fine!" I replied happily. He was suddenly behind me holding many parcels, "What did you get?"

"Food, soap, and a few things for you. I figured you may need some things."

"You didn't have to do that!" I exclaimed as he set a pile of packages in front of me, "This must have been expensive."

"It was nothing. I make plenty of money as a composer and architect to live comfortably. Besides, I was a bit gruff with you earlier, and I shouldn't have been.  I wanted to make it up to you."

"Still, you didn't need to do that." 

"Open them. I hope you like them," he smiled. 

I began to sift through all of the packages to find the most gorgeous pieces of clothing and shoes I had ever seen. It was like something out of a Victorian novel. I found a box of soap and perfumes. Then I came to the last box which I opened and gasped at, "Erik! You shouldn't have..." 

"Well, I couldn't imagine buying these beautiful clothes and you not having a nice set of jewelry to wear with everything."

"Erik, these are gorgeous!" It was a beautiful necklace with emerald stones plus a matching bracelet and earrings.

"I thought it would bring out your eyes," he smiled, "You have gorgeous green eyes."

I threw my arms around him in a hug, "Thank you!" I realized he was very stiff when I hugged him, so I let him go quicker than I would have liked so as not to make him uncomfortable, "Would you put the necklace on me?"

"Sure," he smiled as he took the necklace.

Once I was wearing my new set of jewelry, I turned to Erik, "Well, how do I look?"

"Absolutely breathtaking."