Chapter 34

After a few weeks of hard work on our marriage, Erik and I were in a good place. With much persuading, I convinced Erik to inviting George and Mary over for a game night and drinks for the men.

When we had gone over to invite them, Mary was ecstatic. Really, Mary and I were kindred souls and I expected Erik and George to be the same.

The day finally came, and Erik went to answer the door while I put Gisele down for the night. I immediately heard Mary's excited voice. She was greeting Erik with a quick hug when began to walk down the stairs.

"Hi! Look at you! You're glowing!" I exclaimed. George smiled proudly toward her. "George, I don't know that we've formally met. Hi, I'm Caroline and this is my husband, Erik."

"Pleasure to meet you, Caroline. Thank you for welcoming us into your home."

"Really, the pleasure is ours!" I smiled.

Mary reached for my hand, "I hope we can be best friends, and that our babies can be best friends!"

"I would love nothing more. She's asleep, but would you like to walk upstairs with me to see Gisele?"

Mary smiled and followed me leaving Erik and George to talk for a few minutes.

When we returned, the men had made themselves comfortable in the living area. Erik, for once, was relaxed and enjoying himself. As I approached the room with Mary, I heard Erik say, "I constructed Gisele's first nursery back in France. I'd be happy to help you finish yours."

I smiled, "What are you two gentlemen up to?"

"I was just telling Erik that I have little ready for this baby and he graciously offered to help me complete the room."

"That's lovely, Erik. Did you tell George our news?"

"I was waiting until you and Mary returned," he replied slyly.

George took a sip of his drink, "What's the news?"

"Erik and I are expecting another baby." Mary squealed with delight, "Careful!" I giggled as she bounced with glee.

"This will be so much fun!" she exclaimed. Then all of a sudden she became tearful.

"Aww, Mary..." George said tenderly.

"I'm sorry. I know I said I wouldn't be so emotional. It's just that I haven't had any friends since I married George."

George went to his wife's side and gently rubbed her back, "See... I was sick for a long time. When I finally got better, I was forty. I wanted a family and children, so I tried to court a younger woman that would be able to give me children. Everyone looks at her like she married me for my money, but we really do love each other. We make companions for one another, and I think we'll be great raising a family together."

I had moved toward Erik, and he held my hand. "I suppose Caroline and I haven't had the most normal courtship either."

I was surprised Erik was being so open. He continued, "Really, you and I are the same George. Deep down, I wanted a wife and a family. Caroline was the only one to accept me. Rather, accept my face. We're very happy together though."

"Erik, I'm a big mouth," Mary rambled, "Caroline told me in confidence about the insecurities with meeting us and the mask, and we just want you to know that we accept you too."

I could tell Erik was moved by her sentiment.

"It seems as though we're all a little odd in our own ways," George observed, "Shall we oddballs go play some card games?"