Chapter 4

I fell asleep again and woke feeling ill once again. To my surprise when I rolled over, I saw the man sitting on the bed with a pail in hand. I lifted my head and wretched into the pail. "I'm sorry," I apologized again. My whole body was shaking, and I was chilled to the bone. 

"Quite alright, Madame," he said quietly, "You had a bad fall. I imagine the nausea will fade within the day."

I nodded. 

"In the meantime, if you're comfortable, you may stay here and recover. Otherwise, I can return you to your home." 

I began to cry for the millionth time. I was completely and utterly confused was what happening to me. In some strange way, the tears helped my hazy vision. I looked up at the man who had been so hospitable and kind to me.  I made my eyes focus, and suddenly I had a realization of where I was and who I was with. 

The dark, musty environment suddenly made sense as I was able to see the water surrounding the small island we were situated on in this underground world. 

I continued sobbing as I looked at him. He was the most handsome fellow I had ever seen. Gerard Butler didn't even come close to doing the real Phantom justice. Of course, his eyes were piercing, but the side of his face that was unmasked was incredibly handsome. Leroux's description of the Phantom was a tragedy to this good-looking man. And there was that infamous white half-mask resting on the right side of his face. 

"Madame, are you all right?"

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. 

"Please do not cry," he repeated. 

"I'm sorry," I cried. I was overtaken by sickness again and stuck my head in the pail. 

The Phantom waited a few moments before speaking again, "Madame, please stay calm. You are only making yourself more ill." 

I nodded then I whispered, "I would like to stay here. I have no home." 

"That is quite fine. You may stay as long as you need." He was polite, but his tone was cold. I realized that I had probably entered into a time after Christine, meaning she and Raoul had married leaving the Phantom behind. I had to know for sure. 

"Monsieur, will your wife be opposed? I wouldn't want to intrude."

He scoffed, "A man as hid-" he cut himself off, "I am not married, Madame. Do you have a husband? I wouldn't want to learn that you have a husband, and I am keeping a married woman in my home."

"I don't have anyone," I said more melancholy than I had intended. 

"Oh," he said, "I suppose I should address you as Mademoiselle then." 

"No need for formality. I vomited on your shoes earlier. There's no need to call me Mademoiselle. Please, call me Caroline." 

He was stiff, but he did let a small smirk escape, "A lovely name." He began to stand and walk away with the pail. 

"And you?" I asked looking after him. 

"Me?" he returned. 

"You must have a name?"

"I do, but no one really ever-" he cut himself off again, "It's Erik... If you would like to call me Erik, I would not oppose."