Chapter 33

That night as we laid together in bed, I remembered the happy early days of our marriage. It seemed as though those days would be returning. Erik was relaxed which he hadn't been in a long time. His arm was wrapped around me in a protective manner. He slept peacefully. I watched the rise and fall of his chest before drifting off to sleep myself.

The next morning I woke and Erik's gruff morning voice said, "Good morning, my dear."

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you too," he replied and kissed my forehead, "So we're blessed with another angel?"

"It seems so," I smiled at him.

"Caroline, I would like to apologize for the way I've been acting."

"Erik..." he stopped me.

"I have been treating you poorly, and I'm sorry. You have been the best thing that's ever happened to me, but I've been tired and frustrated, so I took it out on you."

"Erik, it's okay. We're okay... I think you should open a theater or some type of entertainment place."

"But my mask..."

"They'll thing you're just an eccentric composer. You would be so happy running a theater and not being the phantom. You would be wonderful at it."

He stared at me for a moment, "You see more in me than I've ever seen in myself."

"You are tremendously talented. I would hate to see all of that care and talent go to waste. Erik," I said looking into his eyes, "You are just a man. A man whose face is a little different... a man who's lived a much harder life than anyone should lead... a man who has been hidden from the world. You are just a man..." His eyes stared into mine as they filled with tears. My voice became shaky as tears filled my own eyes, "You are just a man. A man that is a wonderful husband... a man that is adored by his daughter... a man that means the world to me." My shaky voice erupted into a soft cry, and I was immediately embraced by Erik.

"You are too good, Caroline. You're just too good for me."

I put my hands on his cheeks, masked and unmasked, and stared into his eyes.

Suddenly, Gisele began to cry and interrupted our tender moment. Erik stood and went to get her. He brought her back into our room and sat her on the bed with us. We played with her and talked to her.

Without prompting, Gisele reached for Erik and cooed, "Pa-pa!"

Erik blinked back the wave of emotion that overcame him, "That's my girl, Gisele! You're right I'm your Papa!"

Again, she cooed, "Papa!"

The smile couldn't be wiped off of Erik's face.