Chapter 12

Hi, Readers! I really hate to interrupt stories with author's notes, but since this is a new story, I would really like to hear your comments on it! Please remember to vote too if you are enjoying the story! I can't wait to hear from everyone! On with the show!

The next day Erik had to make another journey out of the lair. Before he left, he came to see me in the sitting room. I was reading a book he had bought me. It was The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens. "Good morning," he said quietly approaching me. 

"Good morning," I smiled, "Did you sleep well?"

"I don't sleep much, but I did sleep well," he replied, "And you?"

"Very well," I gazed at his face for a moment. I noticed his usual mask had been returned to his face. 

"Caroline," he stared at his feet and cleared his throat, "I want to thank you for last night. That was the first time I've ever shared a meal with anyone, and it was only because of you. So thank you."

"Oh, Erik! It was nothing!"

"It meant everything to me..." he trailed off.

"Erik..."

He reached for my hand. I could feel his hand shaking as he brought my hand to his lips and kissed it.  "I'm sorry," he let go of my hand and looked down at his shoes.

"No, it was sweet," I blushed. 

He gave a small smile, "I must be off. I have to take a few pieces of my composing to the music shop. Are you in need of anything?"

"I don't think so. Can I do anything around here for you?"

"No, everything's great. You'll make us supper, right?"

"Of course!" I smiled, "Actually, maybe you could get us some wine to go with dinner?"

"I will bring wine home. Anything else?"

"No, that's all. Have a good day, darling." I didn't realize what I had said until Erik's eyes met mine and he blushed. 

"You as well, my dear," he gave me a shy smile. 

The day went on as usual and I went about my usual household chores. As usual, I had dinner warming on the small fire when Erik returned home. He came toward me where I was reading my book, "How was your day?" he asked kneeling down next to me.

"It was good," I hesitated, "I'm glad you're home." I was certainly getting flirty lately, I thought to myself. He didn't know what to say, and I felt bad for making him uncomfortable, "Why don't you go change into your other mask?"

He nodded, "Oh, here's the wine."

"Thank you," I smiled. 

We sat down at our table, and began to eat the meal I had prepared. It made me happy to see Erik wearing his cloth mask. It fit almost exactly like his porcelain mask except for the exposed lip, of course. I didn't mind his lip, and it seemed as though he was growing more comfortable with me by allowing me to see his lip. We carried on light conversation throughout the meal. Once we were finished eating, we retired to the sitting room with the remainder of our wine. My face was flushed from the alcohol, and I noticed Erik's face was red as well. We sat in the chairs, and continued talking. 

After Erik drank another glass of wine, his guard came down. I hadn't expected it, but he was being truly vulnerable. "Let's play that game again," he suggested. 

"Oh, alright. You start," I answered.

"Do you think you would want to stay here?"

"I already am, aren't I?"

"I mean... permanently?"

"Oh, yes! I love it here," I felt slightly tipsy as I spoke. 

"Do you like children?" I asked.

"Yes. They're pure and innocent little creatures," he sighed, "I can't ever have children."

"I'm sorry," I said. 

"I mean I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't want to risk passing this," he gestured toward his face, "Onto an innocent child."

I frowned at him, feeling my heart break for him, "You don't know that you would pass it on."

"I would be too afraid of cursing another human like me. Anyway... If I showed you my face someday, do you think you would leave me forever?"

"No, absolutely not. It's just a face," I gazed into his eyes and placed my right hand on his smooth cheek. We stared at each other for a few moments. The wine was certainly doing the talking as I leaned in closer to him. I rested my other hand on his cloth mask and brought his lips to mine.