Chapter 51

It wasn't long before a house was being built between our home and George and Mary's home. Both of us had plenty of property, so we found a way to situate a beautiful home in between ours for our children.

As the men focused on the construction of the home, Genevieve, Mary, and I planned the wedding. Genevieve's greatest focus was on the sounds and smells of the wedding. She wanted the music to be perfect and the flower scents to be just right.

Mary and I took her wedding dress shopping one day along with my other girls and Marguerite.

I helped her into each dress and she would show the other ladies. One particular dress came along that had an empire waist, long sleeves, and lovely lace work on it. Genevieve felt the lace and said quietly, "I hope they like it. This one just feels right."

I took her to show the other girls, and Mary began to cry, "It's perfect, honey. Georgie will love it."

Genevieve's sisters hugged her, "You're beautiful, Genny. Just beautiful!" Gisele said emotionally.

Marguerite and Georgette chimed in with their approval. "Mama, what do you think?"

Tears were streaming down my face, "I think you're the most beautiful bride I ever saw."

With the purchase of the dress and accessories, we went home.

That evening was busy for the girls. Gisele went off on a date with John; Gustave took Marguerite and Georgette to see a production at Phantasma which left Erik, Genevieve, and myself.

It was the perfect time for Genevieve to ask Erik her important question. She had warned me that she was going to ask him this question and was scared how he would react. My response was: "If there was anyone he would do it for, it would be you."

The three of us ate dinner quietly, and I waited anxiously for Genevieve to ask her father to do the nearly impossible.

Genevieve fiddled with her napkin nervously while we ate dinner. Several times, she dropped her silverware. Erik kept retrieving it for her. By the final time, Erik gently held her shaking hand, "Gen-Gen, what has gotten into you? You're shaking, darling."

"Papa... there's something I've been wanting to ask you to do for me. I'm asking a lot, and I'll understand if the answer is no. However, I..." she faded off, "Never mind."

"Genevieve, I would do anything for you," Erik said tenderly.

It was true. I knew parents weren't supposed to have favorites, but Genevieve and Erik shared a special bond. They had since the moment he had held her. Her difficulties hurt him, and he spent much of his time trying to figure out a way to help her navigate life with ease. In the end, he found it was music that would get her through.

"Papa," Genevieve whispered, still shaking, "When you give me away at the wedding, I'm going to give you a kiss for the last time as Genevieve Marie Destler..." 

Her hesitation caused Erik to say, "Yes... That is true." 

"Papa... Oh Mama, I can't ask him to do this."

Erik's eyes met mine, and I pointed to his face. I knew he understood what I was saying. His face appeared deep in thought for a few moments. Almost completely since the girls were little, Erik never wore his mask at home. It was normal for him now. He didn't wear it around Raoul, Gustave, or Marguerite as well as George, Mary, and Georgie. However, he did wear it when he left the house or if we had unfamiliar guests over. 

Finally, Erik spoke, "Gen-Gen, I think I know what you want to ask... You've complained about my cold kisses since you were a little girl, and I can understand how that moment on your wedding day is so important to you-" 

"Papa, you don't have to."

"Genevieve, for you I would do anything. The way you have conquered the world has shown me that I have nothing to be ashamed of. The answer is yes. Yes, I will give you away on your wedding day without my mask."

I nearly gasped, but silenced myself. 

Genevieve hugged her father tightly, "I don't know what I did to deserve you for my Papa." 

"Oh Gen-Gen, it's quite the opposite. I don't know how I was lucky enough to be your Papa."

That night after all of our girls were safely in their beds. Erik and I sat in our den drinking wine. I reached for his hand and squeezed it. We were growing older, but in our growing older, I felt that we had grown even closer. 

"Erik, I'm so proud of you and what you're doing for Genevieve." 

He smiled at me, "It's all because of you. You have shown me that I am a man, no more and no less."

"But a wonderful man you are." 

"All because of you," he brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear, "Caroline, I don't know that you'll ever understand how much you changed my life. I am eternally grateful."

I held his face in my hands and stared into his eyes. He was my everything.