Chapter 40

"Vicomte..." Erik replied. Erik fumbled around nervously at the door realizing his mask wasn't upon his face. His fumbling made him drop the mask to the floor, shattering it. "Caroline, can you retrieve one of my spare masks?"

"Of course." I dashed off to get his mask.

I heard Raoul say, "You don't have to."

"Yes, Monsieur; I do." Erik covered his face with his hand until I returned.

"Phantom..."

Erik cut him off, "Erik."

"Huh?" Raoul looked confused.

"I am no longer the Phantom. I am a father and a husband. My name is Erik Destler."

"Alright, Erik," Raoul gave a nod of respect, "My wife wants to see you one last time." Raoul looked to his feet, "She's sick, Erik. I love her. You know I've always loved her, always tried to do right by her, always tried to protect her." Shocking to me, Raoul began to cry. "She's slipping further and further away each day. We have children together. What am I to do?"

Everyday since Erik had begun to heal mentally, he surprised me. Today, he reached out and patted Raoul on the shoulder, "Vicomte, I will do whatever I can to help her rest more comfortably."

"Can you come now?"

Erik glanced back at me, "Let me get George and Mary to watch the girls."

I nodded, "Girls! Aunt Mary and Uncle George are coming to watch you. Papa and I will be home soon."

The girls came into the foyer with Genevieve being led by Gisele. "Mama, she can't find her walking stick."

Genevieve took a step toward Raoul, and nearly fell into him, "Are you alright, sweetheart?" he asked, helping her up.

"Mama..." she whined.

"You're okay, Genevieve. I'm right here. This is..." I hesitated, not knowing what to call Raoul, "A dear old friend of your Papa."

Raoul let out a soft chuckle and smiled at me, "These are his girls?"

I nodded.

"You and your husband have very beautiful daughters, Madame."

"Thank you."

In a few moments, Erik returned with George to watch the children. We thanked him profusely, and then Raoul motion for us to follow him, "Our carriage awaits."

As we rode in the carriage, the men were mostly silent. I made occasional conversation. It was then that I realized how wrong I had been about Raoul. I saw the two men as opposites of one another. In reality, they were the same. Before I had come to know Erik, they were both madly in love with Christine. Either of them would have done anything to win her affection which was clear now as Raoul brought his mortal enemy to his wife's deathbed.

When we arrived at their home, it was a small beautiful house fitting of someone with status. Raoul got out first and offered his hand to help me down, "Thank you," I said quietly.

Erik came behind me and wrapped an arm around my waist, "Will you be alright?"

I nodded, "Will you?"

He nodded.

We approached the house and went inside. The air felt stale and thick. Raoul led us to à room where a shriveled version of the Christine I met years ago, lie in bed.

"Angel?" she said. It was clear the one word took her great effort.

Erik gave my waist a squeeze and then let me go. "Christine, I am no Angel. You know that now. I am simply a man who was your teacher."

"I was so wrong for what I did to you. We all were," she reached for his hand. "I'm so scared."

Erik took it and squeezed it, "Christine, you will meet your father again and the real angels of music."

I glanced over and saw Raoul crying. I went over to his side, "You can't let her see you like this." My voice was low as I pulled him just outside of the room.

I embraced him as he sobbed, "I can't go on without her."

"Your children need you."

Almost on cue, a small voice said, "Father?"

"Gustave," he let go of me and went to his son, "I love you."

Gustave nuzzled his head into Raoul's shoulder. My heart was breaking for them.

After a while longer, Erik came out of the room, "She asked that we stay a little bit longer, but she needed to rest."

I nodded, "Are you okay?"

He gave me a hug and whispered in my ear, "I love you endlessly."