Chapter 5

Again, I fell asleep and was awoken by Erik clearing his throat, "I brought you some food. Considering, you emptied your stomach three times, I trust you are hungry." 

I nodded, "Thank you." He set a bowl of what looked like oatmeal in front of me. He turned to leave and I quickly said, "Wait, won't you sit with me while I eat?"

He spun around and looked at me. Shock was evident on his face, "You would like me to sit with you?"

"That's what I said isn't it?" I laughed. 

He looked at me sheepishly. I felt bad for being sarcastic. Clearly, the Phantom-Erik was nervous. 

"Please," I smiled and patted the edge of the bed next to me.

He sat down slowly and shakily. I began to eat the porridge. We sat mostly in silence. His back was almost to me with his feet placed firmly on the floor. I tried to remember what I had known about the Phantom was partially fictional, and I needed to get to know this man for who he truly was. The real Phantom wasn't Ramin Karimloo, Gerard Butler, Lon Chaney, Ben Lewis, or any of the  Phantoms I had seen on stage or screen. 

I had no idea how I got here, and I didn't know how to get back. In reality, I didn't know if I wanted to go back. The man in front of me had been a figment of my imagination for the longest time, and I finally had the chance save this man... The real man, not the men in the movies or musicals that would never experience the hurt that the man in front of me had experienced. 

"Caroline?" he said quietly breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yes?" I replied, "Sorry, I was daydreaming."

"Was the porridge enough?"

"Oh yes. Plenty. Thank you for that."

"I... I... I did my research on your symptoms in some of my books and it seems as though you may have a mild head injury, but you will be fine. You just need to rest, and stay in darkness so as not to cause any further trauma to your head. Darkness is not a problem here."

"Oh, I don't mind it here. I appreciate your hospitality."

He bowed his head for a moment, "If I may, how did you end up here?"

"Well, my last two relatives just passed and I was left with nothing after paying for their burials..." part of that was true, "I don't know what happened. Somehow, I ended up in a sewer, and then I was leaning against a wall outside somewhere and the wall gave way. Before I knew it, I was in that dark hallway, and I was a bloody, beat-up mess."

"You were quite a mess when I found you," he replied, "I am sorry about your family." 

"Thank you," I nearly whispered. I felt tears springing to my eyes. I didn't want to cry again. I knew it made Erik uncomfortable. He was staring at me as I bit back by tears, "I'm sorry... I know my crying makes you uncomfortable."

"It doesn't make me uncomfortable... It's just that I do not know what to do when you cry. I want to do something, but-" he cut himself off, "Never mind."

 "No, you can talk."

"It's just that..." I felt him about to open up to me, but then he panicked, "You should get your rest. I will check on you a little bit later." 

"Erik-"

He stood and began to walk away with my empty porridge bowl and spoon in his hand, "No," he said quietly, his voice thick with emotion. Much quieter, he muttered, "I can't do this to myself again."