Chapter 48

"You see, Gustave... Raoul was a troubled man, and he did love you. Despite your differences, he truly did love you. So when your mother died. I couldn't take you away from him or Marguerite for that matter. I had gotten my happy ending, and I didn't want to take away what was left of his."

"You're a good man," Gustave smiled at Erik, "All these years, and all this time we've spent together... it must have been hard."

"It was the request of your mother that I teach you music, and the request of Raoul that you remain with him. You see Gustave, at the time I wasn't completely well. I have a mental illness, but my wife has worked very hard with me to help me have the life I've always dreamed of having."

"The life you deserve..." I whispered.

He reached out and squeezed my hand, "For her and my daughters, I would give anything. For you too, Gustave. And now, Marguerite. I owe that to your mother."

"So Marguerite?"

"Is truly orphaned," Erik said quietly, "I have always been faithful to my wife. Marguerite came along long after we were married."

Gustave nodded, "You'll help me with her all the same, right?"

"Of course," Erik nodded.

I excused myself from the conversation and went to retrieve my daughters and Marguerite from their schools.

When they got in the carriage, my sweet Genevieve was ill for the fifth time in a week. I had become suspicious of her illness and recent change in demeanor.

When we returned home, she retreated to her bedroom, and I cornered Gisele, "Mama, I'm worried about Genny," Gisele said using her sister's nickname.

"Why?"

"Oh Mama... Papa will kill someone if he found out," I shuddered. Erik's daughters had no idea what he was capable of prior to them.

"Gisele, you must tell me if Genny is in trouble."

"It's not her fault... Mama, you have to know it is not her fault."

"Gisele," I grew anxious, "What's happened?"

"She was in Papa's studio practicing late, and one of the workers showed up..."

"Oh God..." I whispered knowing where this was going.

"She doesn't know which one, but he..." she stuttered uncomfortably, "He took advantage of her. He took her purity, Mama. She hasn't been the same since, and now... Now, her cycle hasn't come. She believes she's with child."

"Your father is going to lose his shit," I muttered holding my head.

"Why are men such disgusting pigs!?" Gisele nearly shouted.

"You don't say that about John," I smiled at her. I was referring to a young musician who had begun to court her.

"He doesn't count, Mama." She paused, "What do we do about Genny?"

"I need to go talk to her before I tell your father and he tears the whole park apart trying to find the bastard that did this."

I hugged Gisele, and she said quietly, "I'll do whatever I can for Genny, Mama. Don't ever worry about her. When you and Papa leave this Earth, I'll take care of her. I'll take care of Georgette too."

"You are an angel," I whispered, brushing a strand of her dark hair behind her ear.

I left her and slowly approached Genevieve's room. With a quiet knock on the door, she responded to enter. I sat down on the edge of her bed. Almost immediately, she began to whimper, "Mama... something awful has happened. My singing career will be over before it started."

I hushed her, "Does it makes it any easier on you if I tell you that your sister already explained everything?"

"Yes," she choked out, "Mama, I just wish I knew who it was..." Not once had she complained about being different, but she was angry, "If I had been born with any God damn eyes, I could at least tell Papa who to fire! It's not fair!"

"Genny, listen I'm just glad that we're here to support you no matter what happens."

All of a sudden I felt Erik's presence in the room. He was standing next to Gisele. He was filled with rage, so much rage that his eyes were welling with tears. Through gritted teeth, he asked, "Who has done this to my daughter?"

"I'm sorry, Mama. I was trying to give you time, but he suspected something was up."

"It's alright, Gisele. Now, Erik, that doesn't matter right now. What matters is that you show Genny that you love and support her," I whispered, grabbing his hand.

He sat down on her bed shakily and wrapped his arms around her.

"I know what you must be feeling."

Genevieve snapped, "How could you know? You're a man!"

"Yes, my dear. As a young boy, I was sexually assaulted. I was around twelve years old." Both girls gasped, "Georgette is too young to know, but after dinner tonight, I shall tell you the story of the mysterious Phantom of the Opera."