[Chapter 2] Partners.

𝐶 𝐴 𝑅 𝑇 𝐸 𝑅 𝑆   𝑃 𝑂𝑉

"Please Mrs. Jacobson? You know that Noah and I can't work together, it will never get done." She sighs and looks up from her book.

"I'm sorry, Carter, I can't. Principal Williams told me he wants you guys on this project together." I screw my eyes together, principle Williams? What the hell.

"Okay." I grab my backpack and enter the classroom as Noah is walking in. We bump shoulders, I roll my eyes and keep walking past him.

I head to my next class, which thankfully goes by quickly. Now it's lunchtime and Amber, Amelia, Jeremy, and I are sitting at our table. "That's weird, Williams never asks teachers to assign partners." I nod in response.

"Right. I already hate it and we haven't even started working on it." I notice my friends freeze and look behind me. I already know who it is.

I turn around as he stops walking. "Where do you want to work on the project? Anywhere but my house." Noah hasn't gotten me back from the other day and it kinda scares me.

"I guess my house?" All he does is nod before walking away, he's being weird today. I hate him and even I noticed it, he's not being nice but he's not being rude. He's usually rude, something's up with him. But it's not like I care about whatever it is, probably a girl.

"That was weird, but anyway, what are you wearing to homecoming?" Homecoming is next week and I'm so ready for it. I've always loved homecoming and prom, you get to dress up and have fun.

"I don't know, I still have to go dress shopping." Amber answers, and the other two nod. Although Jeremy seems more preoccupied staring at something. I turn my head and follow his line of sight, the something he's staring at is Justin Jakobs. He's on the football team, and he's one of Noah's best friends.

I might hate Noah and most of his friends, but believe me when I say Jeremy and Justin are soulmates. They both love the same things and stare at each other all day long, but they won't talk to each other without somebody else present.

"Just ask him already, Jer." Jeremy's eyes snap to mine, well that got his attention.

"Yeah, no. I can't even talk to him alone, much less ask him to hoco." The girls and I roll our eyes. If you look at Jeremy and Justin you would probably think they're straight, but they are both very much gay. Jeremy's parents are Christian though so he's not out to them.

******

𝑁 𝑂 𝐴 𝐻 𝑆 𝑃 𝑂 𝑉

"Were you and Carter Shay just talking and not yelling at each other?" Trent asks him and the other boys look surprised. I roll my eyes in response.

"I was talking to her about the assignment." I wince as Ashlyn sits down next to me and hits my ribs.

"Hey, James." I let out a huge sigh. Ashlyn is annoying, she's obsessed with me and never leaves me alone. She calls me by my middle name which pisses me off even more.

"I told you to stop calling me that Ashlyn." She giggles and rubs her hands up and down my arms. I shove her hands off of me and stand up, walking out of the cafeteria. I just walk past the cheerleaders trying to get my attention.

My ribs still hurt and are still bruised after the other night. I know Carter knows that I'm being weird, I haven't gotten her back since the other day.

The guys know something is up but they won't say anything. I haven't had the energy to do anything the last couple of days, obviously, I still have football practice, which hurts pretty bad. The other day was one of the more severe beatings he's given me.