[Chapter 9] Why?

Explicit scenes in this chapter: mentions of self-harm

𝐶 𝐴 𝑅 𝑇 𝐸 𝑅 𝑆 𝑃 𝑂𝑉

"Car, you gonna get ready for school?"

"I don't want to go." I roll over to look at my mom.

"Okay, you can stay home since it's Friday. But can you pick your brother up?" I nod and she smiles.

"Okay, I love you."

"Love you too." She shuts my bedroom door and I sigh, rolling over to look at my phone. There's a text from Noah and Amber. I told Noah not to tell Amber or Amelia anything, they don't know anything, Noah's the first outside of my family to know about my anorexia.

Amber: hey, I'm guessing you're not coming to school so I'm getting a ride from Trent.

Me: Okay.

I look at Noah's next.

Noah: Make sure you eat breakfast or I'll come over there and stuff food down your throat.

Me: I will.

I laugh and shake my head. Noah was texting me all night to make sure I ate lunch and dinner once I got home.

******

We're having some people over for dinner because it's my mom's birthday so I have to put normal clothes on, I do not want to. We're having my grandparents over and one of my mom's friends, her son is coming with her.

I walk downstairs to see what my moms doing but someone knocks on the door. "Car, will you get that?" I nod and walk to the door, I open it to see Noah with two flower bouquets.

"Uh, hi?" He smiles.

"Hi. I'm coming in. Where's your mom?" I point to the kitchen and he walks past me. I shut the door and follow him confused. When I walk in he's giving my mom one of the flower bouquets.

"Happy birthday."

"Thank you, Noah." She hugs him and I furrow my eyebrows. I'm really confused. Then he turns to me.

"And these are for you." He hands me the other bouquets.

"Thank you?" My mom rolls her eyes.

"Are you staying for dinner Noah?" She asks taking my flowers and putting them in a vase along with hers.

"Oh I don't have to, I just wanted to come to say happy birthday and make sure Carter was eating." I glare at him as he smiles at my mom.

"You're welcome to stay, Carter's grandparents and a friend of mine are coming over, we have plenty of food." He looks over and I shrug.

"Sure, I'll let my mom know I'm staying. I'm using your bathroom, Car." He turns and goes upstairs, he's never called me Car before, it's my nickname but he's never called me that.

"I said I didn't like you hanging out with him. But he seems to care a lot about you, he stayed at the hospital and it's obvious he's making sure you're taking care of yourself." And there's the other mom I know, the one that waits for them to leave the room before talking crap about them behind their back.

"We're just friends." With that, I walk up the stairs and into my room. I sit on my bed and a few minutes later Noah walks in. He just belly flops onto my bed.

"What're you watching?"

"Criminal minds." He sits up and leans against a pillow to see the tv.

"Isn't that a serial killer show?" I nod and stand up to walk into my closet. I don't know if I should wear a dress or just jeans and a shirt.