[Chapter 12] Stay.

𝑁 𝑂 𝐴 𝐻 𝑆 𝑃 𝑂 𝑉

Carter wipes her tears as she finishes telling me the story. Not that she needed to tell me the whole thing. I think it felt good for her to tell someone everything without their input. "Mom doesn't believe me. Dad doesn't know." I nod.

Rye is an excuse of a fucking man. Carter's seventeen she shouldn't have had to go through any of this. And her mom shouldn't have had kids if she can't even believe them about something like this. "That's why she invited him over for dinner. Because she thinks I was lying about it."

It breaks my heart to see Carter cry. She's never cried in front of me before. She puts up an act for people, she acts as if nothing affects her and she's tough. But she's broken. She's been hurt, by her mom, by Rye, by people making comments about her. She doesn't see how beautiful she is.

When the tears start flooding her cheeks again I pull her into my chest and let her cry. She needs somebody there for her, for her to talk to, to cry to, she needs a person. And I'd gladly be that person. It hurts me that while she was going through that I was most likely drinking and having a good time. I wouldn't even wish that on my dad. No matter what he's done to me.

After a while of us laying down her crying stops and she just lays in my arms. I'm rubbing her arms up and down. "Noah?"

"Hm?" I look down at her as she stares at her wall.

"Will you stay the night?" My dad crosses my mind. I'm going to get my ass beat..again. But she needs me.

"Yeah. Go to sleep I'm not going anywhere." She takes a deep breath before closing her eyes. She wraps her hands around my stomach and after a bit, her breathing steadies and I know she's asleep. "Goodnight." My head falls back against her pillow and I close my eyes. Sleep finally overcomes me.

******

I wake up, my arms feeling empty and cold. I look down and realize that Carter is gone. She's not in the room either. I hear her shower going so I'm guessing she's in there. I stand up and stretch out. Jeans are not comfortable to sleep in. Thank god it's Friday and grading day, we don't have school today.

I walk out of her room and downstairs. I immediately smell the pancakes and bacon that are cooking.

I smile when I see her dad in the kitchen. "Morning." He turns to look at me.

"Good-morning. Hand me that spatula would you?" I nod and hand it to him. "Thanks, son."

"I didn't mean to fall asleep. I'm sorry." He waves me off. I did mean to fall asleep but he doesn't need to know that. Even though he told me I could spend the night I don't think he meant I could sleep in Carter's room.

"I don't mind it. It's her mother more than me. I trust you and Carter, plus you guys are almost eighteen, I don't see a problem with it if Carter doesn't." I nod and sit at the island.

"Do you need help with anything?" He shakes his head.

"I'm all good here. It's almost done." I nod in response. What I would give to have a dad like him.

Our heads turn when Carter walks in. She's in a hoodie and a pair of black Nike sweats. She smiles when she sees me before kissing her dad's cheek.

"Good morning." She's beautiful. She takes the seat next to me.

"Thanks for staying." She whispers so only I can hear. I turn my head to her and smile.

"Anytime." She grabs my hand under the counter and intertwines our fingers.