[Chapter 14] What the hell?

𝐶 𝐴 𝑅 𝑇 𝐸 𝑅 𝑆   𝑃 𝑂𝑉

"Hey, sweetie!" I smile at my grandma as she pulls me in for a hug.

"Hey, Grandma," She lets me go and then squeezes my face.

"Are you excited to see the family?" I smile.

"Super excited." No, I'm not. It's my grandma's birthday so she's throwing a party. At our house. With the whole family coming. I love my family don't get me wrong. But my mom has five siblings, and they all had at least one kid. Except for uncle frank but he's not around much.

"You should invite that boy that was over here last time. He was so sweet," she walks past me and up the stairs. That's saying a lot. My grandma doesn't like anyone, she's nice, but she doesn't like many people.

I follow her to the guest room to help her unpack. "So are you and that boy together?" She asks as I enter the room. I shrug in response.

"No, just friends. And his name is Noah," she looks at me.

"Are you sure? He looked at you like you were his whole world," I shake my head.

"I'm sure, believe me," she sighs.

"You got to get a boyfriend at some time, monkey, I need me some great-grandbabies!" I laugh in response.

"I know grandma, and you'll get them, eventually."

Does he really look at me like that?

*******

I fall back on my bed, exhausted. How much clothes does an old couple need? Certainly not that much. I think for a minute before grabbing my phone and rolling over.

Me: what are you doing tonight?

Noah: was planning on studying, maybe doing more research for the project, why? Are you okay?

Me: I'm fine. It's my grandma's birthday and she invited you. But that also means you'll be meeting most of my family so think over it before answering.

It's five minutes before my phone beeps with a reply.

Noah: what time should I be there? And what should I wear?

Me: four-thirty. Don't be late or grandma will beat your ass. And anything comfortable.

Noah: yes ma'am.

I smile. I don't think he thought that over one bit. Now, what should I wear?

*******

"Dalton Shay! I will beat your ass!" Dalton, my cousin starts running from his mom.

"I'm the favorite twin," his brother Dayton says while wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I shove it off of me and laugh.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, D," he scoffs.

"I sleep very well thank you very much," I smile and shake my head. The twins are only a year older than me, I'm closer to them than the rest of my family.

The doorbell rings, I only know because I hear Sam, my two-year-old cousin yells, "ding dong!" I walk over to the door before opening it. Noah stands there, smiling at me. He's dressed in black jeans and a football hoodie, I'm guessing he has a shirt on underneath.

"Hey," I step aside and let him walk in. Most of my family aren't paying attention and are doing stuff. Dayton is just staring from his spot by the stairs and narrowing his eyes at Noah.