New days

Beginnings are the hardest parts of a person's life. Starting over sounds great... at first. Until you have to actually do it. Lifting a car with one hand would seem easier at that point!

Sitting in a small car for almost ten hours was not the start I was hoping for. It was definitely not the idea I had of a great start for the summer. Leaving my closes friends from Phoenix to move to Santa Carla. I've never even heard of this place before! Yet here I am smushed between Michael, my older brother, and Nanook, our big smelly dog. Sam, my twin brother, won our game of rock paper scissors, and got shot gun.

"This will be the perfect place to have a fresh start!" Mom tells us for the millionth time. I had to keep my objections to myself for her sake.

Divorces were very uncommon at this time so no one knew the toll it took on our family. Michael and Sam held a grudge on Dad for walking out on us. The worst part was in Phoenix talk got around quite quickly so we were known as that family. I didn't blame mom or dad since I didn't know what actually happened to make this situation turn out like this. I am mad at him for walking out on us though... it's been three months since he last called to check in on us.

"Keep going," Michael and Sam tell mom as she tries to find a good radio station. This has been going on for at least twenty minutes.

"Michael, do you smell that?" I ask him quietly, if I had to describe this smell in one word it would be death. Smelled like something died and came back from the dead...

"Oh what's that smell," Sam scrunched his nose up. Mom inhales and smiles,

"The ocean air!"

"Smells like something died." Sam scoffs, Michael and I snicker as mom gives him a disapproving look.

"Guys, I know it hasn't been easy... the divorce and now the move... but, I think you're really going to like living in Santa Carla..." mom tries yet again to get us excited about the move. At least someone is happy to have a new start. "Ahem, how 'bout some music."

"Keep going," Sam tells her with a small smile. Mom changes the station again only to have Michael tell her to keep going.

"Wait wait wait! This is from my time! Groovin on a sunday afternoon,"

"Keep going!" Mike and Sam laugh, I smile slightly and pull my cassette player out of my bag

"Keep going!" Mike and Sam laugh, I smile slightly and pull my cassette player out of my bag. The doors cassette is already in it ready to be play. Smiling I press the play button and People are strange starts to play. Looking out the window I watch as other cars go by. Leaning against the window I close my eyes. Sadly that doesn't last long as Michael soon nudges me and pulls my headphones off. Opening my eyes I glare at him. He gives me a lopsided smile before nodding towards a sign. 'Welcome to Santa Carla' on the back in a red substance were the words 'MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD'.

"So much for new beginning huh?" I snicker as Michael let's a quiet chuckle out

"So much for new beginning huh?" I snicker as Michael let's a quiet chuckle out. I pull my headphones back on and watch the sign dissapear behind us.

Finally we make it into town and stopped at a gas station. Getting out of the car I was finally able to stretch my cramped legs. Mike glances at me before doing the same to mom.

"Wanna come with me for the rest of the way?" He offers knowing that mom was to busy giving Sam money for some runaways to listen to him.

"Sure, but mom might have a fit when she find out."

"She'll get over it, now come help me," both of us head towards the U-haul to pull Michael's prize possession out. His Honda motor bike that he recieved from dad two years ago... Mom nearly blew a fuse when she saw it.

"We need to stretch our legs, we'll follow you." Michael informs Sam as he walks by us with a questioning look.

"And you say you don't have favorites, I'm hurt Mikey... really I am." He replies putting his hand over his heart.

"Aw chill out Sammy! You know he hates us equally. Truly he does," I laugh, Sam smiles and nods before heading back to the car with Nanook. Michael gets on the bike and puts his hand out to help me on the back.

"Still mad at me?" Mom questions as she makes her way over to us.

"For what?"

"For everything, " she quietly replies to Michael with one of her forced smiles. Michael only scoffs in response before starting his bike. "If you two wanted to check the boardwalk out you can meet us later..."

"What!? They can and I can't! No fair!!" Sam hollers out the window. I snicker at my brothers tantrum that was gaining the attention of some by passers.

"That's okay mom. We'll see it later with Sam. I'll help you unload." Her face lightens up from Michael's random display of responsibility. Who knew that was all it took to change moms mood. Holding onto Mike we both bid our goodbye to mom before she heads back to the car. Glancing around my eyes stop at a telephone pole covered in papers. Looking closer at the papers an eerie feeling washes over me... missing posters. At least ten lay on the ground of different kids. The pole was covered with different people who I would never get to meet. Something about this place felt off, but at the same time it was welcoming. Like a predator welcomes a pray we were about to possibly fall into the same fate as those kids... Murder capital of the world... some new start.

Author note: play the song "people are strange" along with this if you would like! I always do that when I read things like this! Hope you enjoy my story.