Who are they?

Coming to a stop, Michael turns his bike off. The boardwalk lights lit up the whole parking lot. We watch as Sam and Mom pull up next to us. They both come out of the car glancing around.

"Ah, this place is pretty cool right?" Mom smiles, putting her arm around me.

"Oh sure, cool. No rad actually. Totally rad-" I deadpan earning a slap from Michael.

"Jeez you and Sam are rough," she laughs while releasing me. "Alright, you guys go on up to the boardwalk and check the place out. I'm going to see if I can find a job there." She gives us two dollars each, and she mumbles something to Michael. Nodding he grabs Sam's coat and my jean jacket pulling us in a different direction. When we went on the boardwalk I saw a few stores I wanted to check out.

"Say, you guys wanna go off and do our own things? We can meet up a little later here." I ask

"Yeah sure, we'll see you at ten okay" Michael agrees before letting both Sam and I go. "Hey listen you two I mean it, ten o'clock, no later." Sam looked at me rolling his eyes before nodding.

Smiling, I make my way through the crowd looking at all the rides. One ride on the boardwalk caught my eye though, an old carousel. It seemed so familiar.... between the music, the lights, and that eerie feeling. The lights seemed to be dancing to the old music luring me closer to it. Little kids come on and off each time it comes to a stop.

"Pretty isn't it," someone says from behind me, turning around and I see a girl about Michael's age.

"Oh uh yeah it seems that way," I awkwardly responded rubbing the back of my neck.

"It does, and yet seems so familiar and eerie in a way. I'm Star by the way," She continues looking directly at me with a welcoming smile. Her smile was very contagious, making me smile as well.

"Emma," I tell her putting my hand out

"Oh Emma is a pretty name. Did you just move here Emma?" She asks me while shaking my hand.

"Oh uh yeah we just moved here today, but we used to come here when we were younger. I think that's why the carousel looked so familiar." I ramble, not even sure why I was telling her all of this. She simply smiles, seeming to enjoy my talkative side and interested in what I was saying.

"Well that is pretty cool, I'm glad we ran into each other then. How do you like Santa Carla so far?" Well I wouldn't say we ran into each other, I mean she just kind of walked up to me... I shouldn't say that... she seems nice, and I need some friends around here.

"Well it's alright for the murder capital of the world." I snicker, turning to the carousel. I watch it come to a stop again. A young boy comes running over to us from it.

"Star look!" he shouts excitedly showing her a sticker in his hand

"That's nice Laddie! oh Laddie this is Emma, Emma this is Laddie." She introduces, smiling, I wave to Laddie. His eyes widen slightly as well as his grin, before he moves slightly behind Star's leg.

"Hello Laddie, it's nice to meet you."

"You have no idea... hello..." Laddie whispers, making me scrunch my nose up, what does he mean by that?

"Laddie, I'm sorry he's been reading a lot of comics lately and it seems some of the characters' personalities are rubbing off on him." Star apologies, shrugging I let it go knowing that he is just a kid. They are cute though, Star seems to be a good big sister to Laddie from the looks of it.

"Laddie and I were going to head to a concert that is going on tonight. Would you happen to be interested in coming with us? We might even get ice cream on the way for dessert." she offers with a smile. Looking between them I wonder if that would be a good idea. I did just meet them, but they do seem harmless and nice. Laddie eyes meet mine and he gives me a hopeful look with puppy eyes.