Fading and Recovering Memorise

“You're lost little girl, tell me who are you…”

    I jolted awake to see that I'm in my bed in grandpa's house. Looking around, I try to remember how I got back here. Something happened last night I just don't remember what… staring at the window my heart stopped. I saw that window from a dream before with four... boys. My door opens making me turn towards it to see Sam peaking in with a flashlight in his hands,

“Emma? What are you doing here?” He asks 

“I live here.” I roll my eyes while looking at the ground trying to recall what happened and how I got here.

“No shit, but I swore you weren't here a minute ago. I didn't hear the door open downstairs. Did you climb through the window or something?” He scoffs before walking over to me and sitting on the edge of my bed.

“I don't know.” I mutter staring down at the ground 

“You get drunk for something?” he asks with a smirk making me glare at him. My head was pounding making it hard to keep our conversation going. 

“No, I didn't get drunk Sam

“No, I didn't get drunk Sam. Look if you came in here just came in here to annoy me you can see yourself out. As you can see I'm not in the mood to put up with your crap tonight.” I snap at Sam.

“Hey, come on I was just joking… look I wanted to apologize about what happened earlier. I was overreacting, I was just annoyed that you ditched us.” Ditched them? What happened earlier? What had I done? Everything was so foggy in my mind that I couldn't recall a single thing from yesterday.

“And I'm sorry for ditching you Sam… That doesn't seem cool of me to do.” I mutter while staring at the ground trying to remember what happened and who I ditched him for. 

“Hey it's okay, just don't do it again.” No, it wasn't okay, because I truly couldn't remember what happened. I look up at Sam to see that Sam had made his way to the window, gazing out he lets a chuckle out, “Remember when we were kids we used to share this room?” He asks. Looking down the fog slightly cleared from my mind bringing me back to a vivid memory of this place when we were younger.

“Yeah I do,” I breathe out looking around the room with curious eyes, it was like my memory from yesterday was swapped for an older memory. “I remember we spent our birthday here Sam, and the only thing I wanted to do was go on that carousel.” I recall 

“You mean the birthday that you wandered off. Yeah that was something you nearly gave Mom a heart attack. We found you on a park bench sleeping, and when you woke up you wouldn't shut up about your four new friends.” Sam chuckles. I smile while looking at the ground. Yeah, there were four people there with me. They made me feel safe… and wanted for the first time in a long time. It was like I was the only person they wanted to pay attention to, which didn't happen much especially when I live in a house with those two idiots I have to call brothers. Yet I can't seem to recall what they looked like.

“It's weird that as soon as we get here all these memories seem to just start to reappear again, I mean we never even talked about being here before. Hell, I didn't know what this place was at the beginning of the summer.” I honestly tell Sam. He squints his eyes slightly before nodding, 

“Yeah I suppose, it is a little weird huh?” he chuckles, “It's hard to believe but I don't miss Phoenix as much as I did at first. Not saying that I like living here more, if we had a choice I would go back for the TV and my friends.” Nodding I think back to Phoenix, but frown when nothing comes to my mind. 

“Weird, I can't really recall many memories from Phoenix,” I tell him out of frustration, what was going on?

“What do you mean you can't remember anything?” He scoffs, “You and your gang of friends were always together. How could you just forget them like that.” disbelief filled his eyes as he spoke. Staring at the ground I tried to think back on what he was talking about, but it was almost as if all my memories were fading away. 

“Maybe I'm just tired and can't think of anything.” I lied, not wanting him to worry or think that something was going on.

“Oh,”  Sam sits on my bed while rubbing the back of his neck, obviously not knowing what else to say. I watch him before glancing at the window, I remember when I was younger I would sit on the window sill waiting for my friends to come visit me. They could fly… like peter pan. I remember thinking of Peter Pan every time I would see them. 

“Hey, do you ever recall someone coming to our window at night when we were younger?” I ask Sam,

“I don't believe so, but I remember when mom told me that I wouldn't sleep in here at night because of some monsters. She said that it was the night that Michael read this book of scary stories to me. I guess it freaked me out so much that I woke up in the middle of the night and ran into mom's room…” His voice trails off 

“Huh, that's funny. I don't remember that happening, but I do remember Grandpa telling us about Peter Pan.” 

“Oh yeah, you loved that story, you would always want to watch that movie and read that book” He chuckles, smiling I nod. 

“Don't you remember us Little Sister” A voice echoes through my head making me wince at the noise. 

“You okay Emma?” Sam asks with a worried look, tears fill my eyes as I stare at the ground. I'm not okay, something is happening to me, and I can't remember things. Looking up at Sam I give a slight nod.

“I'm just tired.” I whisper, he nods while glancing at my clock in my room. 

“I bet, it's four in the morning. Guess we should call it a night,” He chuckles before standing up “Night Emma, I'll see you-” I cut him off by grabbing his arm tightly, I don't want to be alone.

“Can you sleep in here tonight?” I managed to get out while staring at the ground ashamed of the fear I was feeling.

“You want me to stay?” He asks with a confused look, I only nod making him crack a slight smile. “Well alright, only because you are my favorite little sister,” 

“I'm your only little sister,” I scoff while rolling my eyes

“Shut up and move over before I change my mind.”  Sam climbs into bed with me before turning his flashlight off. 

“Thanks Sam, goodnight” I mutter 

“Don't mention it, goodnight.”

Unbenounced to us four shadows watched the scene unfold from the window with unamused looks

“Cry, little sister”

“Come to your brother”

“unchain me, sister.”

“ Love is with your brother…”