THIRTY-TWO

The next day was uneventful. 

The only thing keeping Carly going was her need to talk to Paxton who weirdly did not pick her up from school today. Something about having to give Becca a ride to her work. He also lied to the girl that they were having a boys night.

The girl asked her cousin and he knew nothing about it. And since Carly had Trent's location, something about him wanting people to know exactly where he was in case he's kidnapped, he was at home.

So why was Paxton lying to the girl?

"Ben!" Carly said to the boy to which he turned around.

"Carly? What's up?" Carly hugged the boy caused the boy to be confused. "Is everything ok?"

"Happy birthday."

Ben smiled. "You remembered?"

"How could I forget? Oh and here." Carly grabbed something out of her bag and gave it to the boy. "Open it."

Ben opened the small box and his eyes widened. "No way." In the box was a signed baseball from one of his favorite players, Shohei Ohtani.

"Yes way."

"This isn't fake right?"

"Not that I know of no." Carly chuckled. 

"How?"

"Well you know how my dad was a major league baseball player back in the day for the Angels right?" Carly asked as the boy nodded so she continued. "The Angles were playing the Mets a few weeks ago. And my dad still likes going to the games, took me. I met all the players, got all their signatures. I specifically asked Shohei for one just for you." 

"Carly this is amazing. Thank you." Ben hugged the girl. He didn't remember the last time someone has done something so thoughtful. His parents got him a big cake and money. It was nowhere as thoughtful as Carly's present. 

Carly shrugged. "It's nothing. Maybe next time you can come."

"I'd like that."

"So any plans for your big day?"

"Yes actually. I'm throwing a party at my house tonight. Feel free to come. Paxton's coming."

Carly wrinkled her eyebrows with confusion. "You talked to Paxton?"

Ben nodded. "We're in the same history class."

"With Devi right?"

"Yup. He was showing her pictures from their photoshoot the other day and I idiotically told her I was throwing a party just to get her attention."

Carly was confused. "Wait, hold up. What photoshoot?"

"The one they had with some girl named Rebecca."

"Paxton's sister."

"I guess." Ben shrugged, not thinking it was a big deal. To Carly however, it was a huge fucking deal. "Wait, you didn't know?"

"No."

"Hm. I wondered why he didn't tell you."

"Me too." Carly sighed. Now she really needed to find her boyfriend. "Look Ben, happy birthday. I'm glad you like your present but I'll see you tonight ok?" Carly said, walking away from the boy. She needed to find Paxton and ask him why the hell has he been lying to her?

✄-----------------------------

DRRAAMMMA