FORTY-THREE

"What?" Carly asked, not believing what she just heard.

"Paxton and Devi kissed." Eddie repeated.

"I heard what you said." Carly shook her head.

"Carls, I know you don't want to believe it, believe us we didn't either but, it's true." Lily said.

"No it's not." Carly was in denial. She didn't want to believe it. Why would Paxton her best friend, her boyfriend, someone who she trusted, would do something like that. He would never cheat on the girl.

"Babe..." Lily said, hugging her best friend when she saw the tears coming down her face. "Sh... it's okay. We're here for you."

That only made Carly cried harder in her best friend's shoulder. "Why would he do that?"

"I don't know baby."

"Doesn't he love me?" Carly asked. "I mean c'mon. I'm Carly Tan for crying out loud."

Eddie half-smiled, sad to see his cousin like this. She didn't deserve it. "Paxton's an idiot for doing what he did. And don't you dare think for a second it's any of your fault. You deserve the world Carly Mimi Tan. And if Paxton can't give you that, then maybe someone else can. There are other boys in the sea that will love you despite anything. You just gotta let them."

Carly looked at the ground. She didn't want to think about anyone else other than Paxton. She always imagined she was gonna date Paxton and then get married after college. Start a life together, get the dog she always wanted. 

It's funny how someone who you knew from the beginning was gonna be a threat to your relationship but you didn't say anything. You kept quiet. Quiet so you didn't lose the boy. Someone should really start playing 'Traitor by Olivia Rodrigo' because that really spoke to her right now. The girl knows what song will be one repeat when she gets home. 

"I just don't understand why he would do that. He told me he loves me. I was his everything. What did I do wrong?"

"Absolutely nothing." Lily said. "Maybe your relationship was doomed from the start. And that you guys were just meant to be friends, nothing more. But you would have never known that if you didn't date him. Maybe if you guys are meant to be, you'll find each other again in the future."

"Do you think I chose the wrong guy?" Carly suddenly asked.

"What do you mean?" Eddie asked.

Carly shrugged. "Like, I should have said yes to EJ instead of Paxton?"

"I don't know. But you can't change what happened. On the bright side you didn't lose EJ. So even if you and Paxton don't work out, you still have him." Eddie said.

Carly laughed. "Not after I told him I'm still with Paxton. He hates me." 

"Oh please he certainty does not hate you." Lily said. 

"Can we talk more over ice cream?"

Eddie chuckled. "Tell me where and let's go."