41| What have you done?

Thank you so much for 60K!!! You guys are great!!!

Nova's POV

The car ride is peaceful, however, the closer we get to Grayson's childhood home, the more restless he gets. His knuckles get tighter and tighter the closer we get, his skin turning white from the pressure. I comfort him with small touches, whether it be rubbing his arm up and down or placing my hand on his thigh, just to let him know I'm there.

I know it's not just the nerves of seeing the house or his mum, but his dad. I see him trying to conceal his anger, for me or for his mother? I'm not sure. I try to distract him with small talk, random things that pop in my head I'll blurt out. Sometimes he would reply or chuckle, or he would just give me a concerned look.

He can look at me all he wants, because I know for even just a moment I've taken his mind off from his thoughts. And I'm okay with that. We pull up to a gas station only half a mile from his home.

"I need to stretch my legs!" I groan, opening the car door and nearly tumbling out.

"It was a two hour drive, suck it up." I stick my tongue out at him making him roll his eyes at me.

"I can't sit still for long." I shrug leaning against the car as he fills it up.

"Yeah, I've noticed." He mumbles.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I frown. He looks at me with a small smile, letting out a breathless laugh.

I continue to frown at him as he takes the pump out of the car and places it back. He turns to me with a smirk, walking towards me slowly. He pushes my hair behind my ear and leaning down. "It means, you're always quivering beneath me." He whispers into my ear kissing my neck softly.

He walks off towards the small shop to pay for the gas leaving me with a blush on my cheeks. I let out a large breath and round the car to climb back into my seat. I just put my seat belt when he comes back with snacks in his hands.

My eyes light up when I see he got my favourite sweets. "You didn't?" I ask.

He looks at me then towards the sweets in his hands, with a roll of his eyes he tosses me the sweets. I grin and let out an exited 'yes, yes yes' and tear the packet open.

"You're such a child." Grayson shakes his head but I don't miss the small smile on his lips.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of his smile, not caring how big or small it is. I cherish It.

"Oh shut up, you love me really." I grumble popping more sweets into my mouth.

"Mmh." I cast him a confused look as he stares at the road ahed of him. Shrugging off his weird behaviour, I sit back with my sweets.

"Are you going to bring your mother with us?" I ask softly.

"I don't know." He sighs. "I mean, I want to. But I don't think she'll leave willingly." He shakes his head.

"How come? I mean, if she's treated so horribly, why not just leave?" I ask.

Grayson briefly looks at me letting out a forced laugh. "It's not that simple. Her whole life has been with him, she may not of realised it then but he's always controlled her." He bites his lip while shaking his head in frustration. "If only it was so simple to just leave." He mumbles.

Guilt crashes into me hard. I look down at my sweets, no longer wanting to enjoy them. I push them away and look to Grayson who scowls at the road ahed. "I'm sorry." I whisper.

"You don't have to be."

"No, I do. I was being inconsiderate and naive. I'm sorry, Grayson." He lets out a huff and takes my hand into his, kissing my knuckles and laying our joined hands in my lap.