33. Fury

You were seated alone at the back row hugging your new bear to sleep. You had spent all your energy running around and holding onto the bar for your dear life and honestly, you didn't even know if you had the energy for tonight's party. You were yawning the whole way back and somewhere along the ride, you fell asleep.

The next time you woke up, you were lying in bed. Nat was trying to shake you up to get ready for the party which was starting in less than half an hour.

"You have to get up! You're going to be late if you don't start to get ready."

"Huh? Okay..." You took a big yawn before getting out of the bed and freshening up. You went to the closet and picked a normal grey shirt and black tights.

Things were going well at the party except that you were seated alone. Tony had invited tons of people to the party that you felt out of place. Wasn't it supposed to be a party for you? You felt like your presence here doesn't make much of a difference.

You sat at the corner of the bar counter and drank y/f/d. You had so many of them that whiffed of it and you could recognise it. By now, the party had died down a bit with few of his friends remaining. You put your head on your fist, contemplating whether to head back to your room since you've stayed long enough when you heard your phone ring.

"Hello?"

"So nowadays only teenagers carry their phone everywhere. Where the heck are the Avengers?" You recognise this voice... it was Fury's.

"Umm... they are partying?"

"Pass the phone to Captain rogers."

You walked over to where they were and handed your phone to Steve. Steve's expression changed after listening to Fury.

"We're needed." Steve said stoically as he passed your phone back to you. "Fury said there's an attack in Philadelphia ."

You heard your breath hitched. In Philadelphia?

Everyone went to suit up as you waited by the quinjet. Using the quinjet, everyone was there in an instant.

The buildings were damaged, some collapsed and everyone was scattered, running for safety. The traffic was in a standstill, everyone deserted their car and ran by foot, scrambling for any shelter they could find. The police were trying to direct everyone to safety, but it proved to be difficult.

"You sure took your time. What happened to JARVIS?" Fury said.

"Tony cancelled it for the party." Nat stepped out of the quinjet.

"Now go and settle this shit."

You saw at the end of the street a familiar figure.

"It's that guy... The guy who threw me out of the window!" Everyone could see where you're looking. In fact, the streets were filled with them.

"Aim for their neck, it's their weakest spot." You heard Nat speak as she started firing her gun and everyone else started attacking the nearest enemies.

These guys seemed to not have a mind of its own. They just trampled over the abandoned cars as they made their way towards your group, not bothering to weave in and out.

"Wait, are these robots or human beings? We haven't really seen their faces yet." Tony just rambles as he blasts his way through the group of enemies.

"Robots obviously!" Fury shouted through the comms. Everyone could tell that he was mad for not being able to contact you guys on the first try.

It was not easy fighting these robots. Partially because you have a small magazine size and having reload during a fight is not fun. Buildings were still coming down and you have to make sure to check your six every now and then, there was just a lot going on to concentrate and aim.

"This is not a long-term option!" Steve pushed ahead further than the rest.

He was right. With no knowledge of how to stop them from attacking, waves were going to keep coming and your bullets were running out.

"Where could they be controlling the robots from?" You asked. They had to be here somewhere. The robots couldn't just magically appear out of nowhere. They had to bring them in.

"The Empire State Building!" Steve just blurted that out and sprinted off. You looked at Nat for a moment before running as well. Not caring if you left behind a few robots. As long as you found the source, they're gone.

Everyone was running in the same direction.