A Blessing and A Curse

I was on edge the whole night. Silas was everyone else's problem, not mine, and I took that word personally.
While they were all out trying to find some kind of magical solution, I was resting my last legs, at home.

"You have something I want"

Silas was threatening me the other day. But I didn't think much of it, what could he do anyway. I guess his high ego thought he was better than everyone.

I was just sitting on the couch, in the living room of the empty mansion, this place was huge, it made me feel like I was in an empty hotel.

Blood bag on my hand, slurping it as I was channel surfing, there really isn't much on TV, at least for me, none of it is of interest to me. I just hoped with every minute that passed, something interesting would happen, something to lift up my spirits.

Knock, knock.

Bingo.

I turned my head quickly, jumping in the sound of the loud knocking on the door, while having the straw of the bag still between my teeth, for some seconds I just visioned who it could be.

No vampire is kind enough to knock, I think.

So I put the bag on the table, uncross my feet and close the TV, walking over to the door, hesitating at first.

But I opened it.

"Can i help you?"
I ask the middle aged man standing there, who I don't seem to recognize.

"I'm looking for Elena Gilbert"
"Mhm, she's not here"

The way his eyes scanned my entire figure was concerning, he seemed mad, like he was this close to turning this place upside down.

"You'll let me in though, won't you sweetheart?"
"Um, sure, come in I guess"

He walked in scanning the place, looking around at the old wall sculpture and the vintage decorations.

"This piece, Marc Nattier"
"Right"

He just named a French painter from 1680 something, is this guy weird or what?

"How do you know him?"
"Oh honey I've seen so much old art in my life, you wouldn't even know"

"If only you knew" I whispered under my breath.
Damn, if only you knew I saw Marc up close.

"What else do you know?" I asked. Annoyed.
"Have a sit kid"

Kid? Cmon.

"You seem young, and probably naive"

This dude is pushing it now.

"But you look like you've been through some shit, gem"

"Don't call me that"

He puts a surprised look on his face.

"Why's that?"

"Don't worry about it"

"If you don't mind me asking"

"Damn it, my fa-"

I turn my head to look at him, slowly, my voice shaking a bit, he had a devilish smirk all over his face.

"Oh hell no"

I raised my hand to blast him in the face with magic, but he seemed to already know me too well, mirroring the spell and the blast hitting me right back in the stomach, causing me to crawl up to myself on the floor.

If there was one thing I was scarred shitless of in my life, it was him, I don't think it's because I can't take him in a fight, with magic.
I know I could.
But the knot in my stomach every time i see him, the buzzing in my head doesn't allow one spell to be cast. It just stops it, it places an invisible border between me and my magic.

"Y/N.. did I really change that much?, it's a pity you didn't recognize me"

I tried standing up to face him, but met the ground again after one strong punch in the face.

"I already met your friends, you know, Kai is lovely"

Fuck.

I guess my body clicked when I heard his name, it ignored his presence and magic made him kneel in pain, I almost regretted doing that after I saw the look in his face.

"Don't lay a hand on him"
"I'm afraid I already did"

I vamp-sped up to him, pushing him to a wall, with tears in my eyes.

"What did you do to him?" I screamed as I watched this stupid grin form on his lips.

"You haven't been kind to me Y/N"
"You banished me, you kicked me out of my own home like it was nothing" My voice breaking.

He didn't seem to bulge, he wasn't a father, he didn't claim the title, I was just a stranger to him. I could see no emotion, no feelings.

"How are you even still alive?"
"I'd ask you the same thing, if I hadn't known about your vampire buddies back in 1013"
"Answer the question" 
"I've been slowing down my aging ever since you were born"

I let go of him, taking a few steps back, processing the reunion, who even helped him get here?
I still remember the time when I thought of my father as someone great. Someone who was very sought after, someone who you wanted to sit with in an empty room and have a talk with.

All kids with idiotic parents used to have that, I know my dad could be great if only he didn't give in to his greed and lust to rule.

I was 11.

As I look at him I felt my eyes starting to water up. I felt this despair oozing out of me and my cheeks were burning.

"Can I see him?" I asked, hesitantly, didn't want to touch a nerve there.
"Oh sure"

Pain.

How could it be that his magic was stronger than me? How could it be that I couldn't resist the pain he was putting my scull through? I couldn't shield myself.

I fell unconscious.