3. A-Hole

Dante

Money. Money doesn't lie. Money doesn't cheat. Money doesn't manipulate you. Money doesn't abuse you. Money doesn't break your trust. Money doesn't kill. Money doesn't betray. Money doesn't break you. And Money doesn't treat you like you're a worthless bag of shit.

Money is all I've got. Me, myself and fucking money. Most days I love it. And other days it's an absolute shatter to the heart.

"Right here." I ordered my driver. He stops in front of Diana's apartment complex.

Giving him a time to return I get out of the car and walk up the steps to her door.

108. How many God damn apartments are in the complex?

I knock on the door and wait a second before knocking again after no one answers the first time.

"Alright, alright, hold your horses, I'm coming!" I hear Diana yell.

The door soon opens and Diana stands at the door. I walk past her and glance around the apartment as I find a seat.

"Yes, please do come in." I hear her reply sarcastically as she closes the door.

"Nice spot." I say.

It was homey. The furniture reminded me of when I was a little boy in Nana's house. The smell of freshly baked cookies filled the air every time I woke up.

"Thanks."

I take a seat on a chair at her kitchen table. "So, let's talk business." I didn't have time to sit and chitchat. This morning had already started shitty and pretending I cared about anyone wasn't on my agenda today.

She takes a seat at the table in the chair across from me and I take a look at her appearance. She was a gorgeous woman. I had noticed that from the day we met. Diana had the hair color of red hot cinnamon. Her long wavy hair now pushed around messily. Her pale skin was the silk of white rose petals and there was something about her hazel eyes. They were a radiating brown sun warmed with inner gold.

I could tell there was something about her from the moment I saw her. Something no one like me would be able to treat the right way. She was delicate on the inside, yet strong on the out. Which is exactly why this was a business deal only. I didn't need or want to be caught up in anything that involved real feelings with anyone.

I can tell she has just woken up as she rubs her eyes before speaking. "I thought we already discussed everything the other day. What else is there to talk about?"

"Rules. We need rules."

"Alright, and what's your rules?"

"Pretty simple. I need to know of your plans for the next five months. I need t-"

"Five months! You told me just until the cops were off your back?"

"You are. I figured that's how long they'll be targeting me. They know I've been in this business for a while now. But they don't have anything on me and they won't get anything. After a while, if we continue to show them I'm a practical boring suck up engaged to a nurse, they'll give up."

She shakes her head."No. I'm not pretending like I can stand you for five months. There has to be some other way."

"You want your fucking money, don't you?"

She goes silent for a minute before replying, "Fine. But you know I have a set of rules, myself right?"

"I need a cigarette for this."

"Why?"

"I have to listen to someone that's not my own conscious. "

I get up and walk over to her counter. Taking a cigarette from my pocket and lighting it right before sitting down on the counter. Diana stands in front of me, folds her arms and rolls her eyes.